Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lancashire Baptisms

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Merlynne

Merlynne Report 28 Mar 2009 00:13

Hi all,
While searching for a birth in Lancashire I came across this site:

Lancashire online Parish Clerks

which has records of Baptisms, Marriages and Deaths for loads of Lancashire parishes, searchable by Surname Index.

Link:

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/indexp.html

They seem to be putting all the LDS records specific to Lancashire on one site - very useful!

Hope its of help to someone

Lynne

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Mar 2009 04:07

The Online Parish Clerks Project is actually England-wide, so you can find information for some other counties.

Lancashire is further ahead than most!

go to www.onlineparishclerks.org.uk

to check which other counties are involved.

Oh, and they aren't LDS records

.............. volunteers are inputting from the actual parish records.

If you want to see the LDS records all in one place, google "Hugh Wallis IGI Batch Numbers" ............ the actual address is far too long to try to put on here.

It has not been updated since 2004, but Hugh got together all IGI records from the LDS that were EXTRACTED reocrds.

sylvia

Merlynne

Merlynne Report 28 Mar 2009 08:20

Thanks for the update Sylvia. The ones I looked at were definitely LDS records though ;)

Lynne

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 28 Mar 2009 16:01

The original parish records were filmed by the LDS and these are where of transcriptions on the Lancashire section of the online parish clerk come from . Copies of thes films are usually held at Local Studies Libraries and Records office
Not all counties are covered by the online parish clerk project
There are no records for some churches because Clergy and other members of the church objected to the LDS ethos
and refused to allow them to see their records

Bren

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Mar 2009 19:48

..........and one of those Parishes that refused them access is Barrow in Furness - where my Cornish ancestors went for one generation when the tin mines closed!
I think I've only found half a dozen ancestors on the LDS site - and half that info was wrong!!