Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Farms .. Yes, really

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heather

Heather Report 28 Mar 2009 07:29

My father remembers a great uncle, who lived on (owned?) a farm with whom he stayed as a child. This would have been in about the 1930s. I have found two possibilities for this great uncle, one of whom is a more direct relation. My father believes that he was a brother of his grandmother, and one of them is, though the name is one of 3 christian manes (and not his first!) However, up to 1911 neither lived on a farm or worked as a farmer.
I have to assume that the gr uncle changed his occupation between 1911 and the 1930s. His name is relatively unusual and I've done a lot of searching and investigation to uncover who he was, so I don't think there will have been another option.
Is there any way to find out about land and who owned or worked on it please?

Andrew

Andrew Report 28 Mar 2009 10:07

You could try the land registry

http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/

to see if they can help.

Andy

Heather

Heather Report 28 Mar 2009 17:43

Thanks, I'll try them

Heather

Heather Report 28 Mar 2009 21:27

Heather, your father would be young at the time, memories can be confused.