Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Friendly Society

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 28 Mar 2009 08:57

Could someone please tell me what a Friendly Society is? I have found an ancestor on the 1911 census who's occupation is "Royal Liverpool Friendly Society Agent".

Sue

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 28 Mar 2009 09:04

Would he have gone door to door collecting the money do you think, Jonesy? I always like a bit of background to my people:)

Sue

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 28 Mar 2009 09:16

Thank you very much, Jonesy, and thank you for the link.

Sue

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 28 Mar 2009 10:08

Before the arrival of the welfare state in 1948, workers often took out insurance against loss of employment or sickness. The often joined mutual associations or Friendly Societies .Their popularity increased dranatically during the 18th century.

There is an article in the April (Issue 20) edition of "Who Do You Think You Are?"

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 28 Mar 2009 10:22

Thank you for that BS. Unfortunately I'm in Australia and the WDYTYA magazine hasn't reached our shores yet. I'm getting a bit of background to the Friendly Society and I do appreciate your information. I will google it and see what else I can find. Thanks again.

Sue