Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Military records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LindaLucy

LindaLucy Report 28 Mar 2009 18:18

Hi all,

My Grandfather was awarded medals after serving in the First World War but am not sure which ones he got :( and would love to know. I know that he served in the army but nothing else, can I also find out this information too? :)

Please can someone give me a few pointers? Is it worth looking under the Military section on the Ancestry website and can I also find out about other family members who also fought in war - as to what they did?

Very much appreciated.

LL :)

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 28 Mar 2009 18:21

You could try the medal card index on ancestry or the national archives also the pension and service records on ancestry.

Roy

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Mar 2009 18:25

LL yes do look on Ancestry ( if you don't have a sub' I will be happy to do it for you ) I found a lot of info on some of my rellies from doing that

Rose

LindaLucy

LindaLucy Report 28 Mar 2009 18:51

Hi Porkie Pie and Rambling Rose - great names :)

Thanks for both replying so quickly and for the useful information that you have given me. I can't wait to get started!

I do have a subscription for Ancestry (couldn't be without it!) but thanks for the offer Rambling Rose.

Looks like it's the pc for me tonight. :)

Hope to come back later and let you know what I find out.

Thanks again.

L L

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Mar 2009 19:15

LOL..LL, PP and RR all on the same thread :)

Good luck with your evening of searching :)

xx

2narmee

2narmee Report 28 Mar 2009 19:19

was just gonna post a message of help about the same thing howver what information do you need to look up in national archives. I knwo this might sound daft but I have littel to go on other than a name and the fact that I know he was involved with horses that pulled the gunsso I assume it is something to do with the Royal artillery. Is this all too vague?

LindaLucy

LindaLucy Report 29 Mar 2009 12:40

Hi,

Just an update. I can't find anything about my Grandad however, have found out about his brother who was killed in the First World War. Quite pleased about that as I now know quite a bit about him.

Kay,

I knew nothing about my Grandad's brother just his name and DOB but was able to find out about that he was with the Royal Fusiliers and that he killed in action on 27/09/1915. I also managed to find out what medals he gained too. So it is definitely worth looking it up even with little information to go on.

Any ideas where I go from now to find out about what my Grandad did during the First World War?

Many thanks

LL