Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Workhouse Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chris

Chris Report 28 Mar 2009 23:11

Hi,

I see from the records put online recently that my great great great gransfather (Henry William Champ) died in the Newington Workhouse in May 1894 aged 62. Can anybody tell me why it is that I am unable to find a death certifcate for him ?

Thanks, Chris

Rambling

Rambling Report 29 Mar 2009 00:14

Hi Chris, have had a good search... but not found anything...except that I noticed on the images it says in some cases under 'where buried' the place eg Newington...and under some the rather dismissive sounding 'Taken Out'...
I don't know if this is significant in any way?

Caz

Caz Report 29 Mar 2009 02:35

Hi,

I believe that most people who died in the workhouse were buried in the workhouses own burial ground but that the family of the deceased were able to claim the body if they so wished for burial elsewhere. I expect that is what the term "taken out" is referring to. A body that has been claimed by the family for burial outside of the workhouse.

The fact that someone died in a workhouse should not affect the registration of the death though. The death should still have been registered. Have you tried contacting the register office that covers the area in which your ancestor died? They may be able to shed some light on it for you.

Good luck,
Caz

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 29 Mar 2009 08:49

Hello Chris I also can't find a death certificate for my great/grandfather who died between 1889-1891 he was not in a workhouse but I do beleive now after 7 years that some deaths were not recorded as his is not the only one i can't find
Margaret