Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Southwark

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chris

Chris Report 28 Mar 2009 23:14

A great deal of my family from the 1800's and early 1900's come from around Southwark (St Saviours, St Olaves etc). I am piecing it all together but does any one more experienced than me have any tips specific to the area in terms of places to go...churches, recors, etc. Many thanks,

Chris

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Mar 2009 23:22

http://www.parishregister.com/searchpage.asp

has to search (free search, then purchase ) ... in case any of your ancestors worked on the river..

South of the Thames
St Mary, Newington, Southwark 1829 to 1837
Entries:7,018 Completion:100% [CD available]
St Mary, Newington, Southwark 1837 to 1842
Entries: 3,255 Completion: 100% [CD available]
St Mary, Newington, Southwark 1902 to 1922
Entries:5,556 Completion:100% [CD available]

Linda

Linda Report 28 Mar 2009 23:23

Southwark covers quite a large area, can you be more specific?

Chris

Chris Report 28 Mar 2009 23:32

Thanks Rambling Rose !

Linda - mainly around the area that is now known as Borough.

Chris

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Mar 2009 23:34

This site might give you some ideas

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/DiscoverSouthwark/heritageandhistory/LocalHistoryLibrary/SourcesFamilyHistory.html

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Mar 2009 12:04

If you can get to the London Metropolitan Archives then they hold Parish records for Southwark .I found the Parish record of two marriages and some baptisms for St Saviour Southwark .It was lovely to get copies from the actual Parish record books

Heather

Heather Report 29 Mar 2009 13:13

Chris, it would help if we knew what sort of information you are looking for please?