Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fresh Eyes Needed Please SORTED Thank you

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Caz

Caz Report 29 Mar 2009 15:24

Hi,

I have been searching for information on Elijah Cyril Cole born in 1906 in the Guisborough district. I have his birth certificate but have been unable to find anything else about him.

Family stories have him married with about ten children by the 1950s and going by the name of Cyril Cole, living in the same area.

I have searched FreeBMD and Ancestry for a marriage in the names of both Elijah and Cyril Cole and allowed for variations in the spellings but have had no luck. The same is also true of a death registration although it is possible he died after 2005 I suppose.

Could anyone offer a fresh pair of eyes please? I would be very grateful for any help.

Thank you,
Caz x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 29 Mar 2009 15:33

Could he have died in a different area? There is this death where the year of birth is only out by one year (which isn't unusual on death certificates):-

Name: Cyril Cole
Birth Date: 15 Apr 1907
Death Registration Month/Year: Jan 1986
Age at death (estimated): 78
Registration district: Barnet
Inferred County: Hertfordshire, Middlesex
Volume: 11
Page: 200

Kath. x

Caz

Caz Report 29 Mar 2009 15:40

Thanks very much for your interest Kath. I had ruled that one out as I have his birth cert and the date of birth is incorrect.

Caz x

John

John Report 29 Mar 2009 15:40

Hi Caz
Is this the family from 1911 census?

HOUSEHOLD COLE ANNA LAURA PHYLLIS F 1898 13 Guisborough
HOUSEHOLD COLE ELIJAH CYRIL M 1907 4 Guisborough
HOUSEHOLD COLE ELIZABETH F 1875 36 Guisborough
HOUSEHOLD COLE GEORGE ALBERT M 1868 43 Guisborough
HOUSEHOLD COLE GEORGE ALBERT M 1900 11 Guisborough
HOUSEHOLD COLE JOHN ROBERT M 1902 9 Guisborough
HOUSEHOLD COLE MAY ELIZABETH F 1895 16 Guisborough
HOUSEHOLD COLE RACHEL ALICE AMELIA F 1896 15 Guisborough

Regards
John

Caz

Caz Report 29 Mar 2009 15:48

Yes John that's them.

Thanks for your interest,

Caz x

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Mar 2009 23:45

Caz

don't forget that much of the information given on a death certificate is only that which has been told to the informant, and may be INCORRECT. It is hearsay, not doucmented ..... documents don't have to be shown to prove date of birth, marriage etc

eg, any or all of the following may be wrong

full name/spelling of name
marital status

SO .......... that could be his death registration.

as an example ......................... my grandfather had us all convinced that he was born on Christmas Day, we all celebrated on that day, made every effort to get to his house.

It wasn't until after Granddad had died that his son found his birth certificate and discovered that he had actually been born 2 weeks later ................ in January 1885 not December 1884

........ OK only 2 weeks difference, but a year out is not unusual.

sylvia

DevonViolet

DevonViolet Report 30 Mar 2009 09:38

Hi Caz

FreeBMD marriages are only transcribed to the early 1930's so far, and I have found Ancestry's transcriptions a bit hit and miss.

It may be better to try and pinpoint a smaller year frame, by any info you know. i.e. one of the childrens birth and where they were in the pecking order, then viewing the original returns on Ancestry.

It is not an exact science, but can offers results.

Caz

Caz Report 30 Mar 2009 13:08

Thanks Sylvia and Bubblebelle for your replies.

According to the birth cert I have Elijah Cyril Cole was born on 15 September 1906. The death reg for Cyril Cole that you found Sylvia gives the date of birth as 15 April 1907. I have no other information I could use to link these two together as I know so little about mums uncle Cyril. I have no idea what he did for a living although I would hazard a guess at mining as that's what the rest of his family did but I could be totally wrong. I have no idea who he married or at this point if he even married at all and I don't know the names of any of his reputed ten children so the name of the informant on the death cert wouldn't confirm a link.

Any suggestions you could give me about how I might link these two together would be very much appreciated. There must be something I haven't thought of.

Thanks again,
Caz

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 Mar 2009 15:14

This must be the birth certificate you have:-

Name: Elijah Cyril Cole
Year of Registration: 1906
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
District: Guisborough
County: Yorkshire - North Riding
Volume: 9d
Page: 475

Kath. x

Caz

Caz Report 30 Mar 2009 16:20

Yes Kath, that's him.

I have him on the 1911 census aged four and living with his parents and siblings but after that, nothing.

I know my grandfather referred to him as Cyril rather than Elijah but I have been looking under both options.

The death reg that Sylvia found in Hertfordshire is the closest I have come but I don't know how I could prove a link when I know so little about him. The only definite info I have is his date of birth but as has been pointed out this is not always correct on death certs and in this case it doesn't match.

I really am stumped.

Thank you for your interest. I really appreciate your input.

Caz x

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Mar 2009 20:29

well, it seems there are only two things to be done

search the Complete Index to marriages on ancestry, from ca 1926 onwards.

or wait as freebmd is continuously updated .... checking back once a month or so to see if your guy has made it onto there.

sylvia

Caz

Caz Report 31 Mar 2009 00:39

Hi,

Thank you everyone for taking the time and trouble to help me with this. It is very much appreciated.

Caz x