Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

AWOL Great Grand-Mother

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa

Lisa Report 29 Mar 2009 22:07

Hi

Can anyone help?- not sure what to do/where to look.

My great grandmother (Frances Emma Cuddon aka Fanny born 1889 in Ipswich, Suffolk) left my great-grandfather (George Charles Howe born 1879 in Norwich (Soke Holy Cross), Norfolk) whilst he was at war along with their 5 children (George, Charles, Alice, Leslie & Marjorie)

As a result of this my grandmother and her siblings ended up in a workhouse. To my knowledge she never made contact with my great Grandfather or her children. It would be really interesting to try and find out what made her to up and leave and whether she then went on to have any further children.

I just don't know how to go about finding this information.

Rambling

Rambling Report 29 Mar 2009 22:32

Looking at their marriage 1909, if she left him even at the end of the war 1918, she would have had 5 children in nine years... maybe she was suffering from post- natal depression , looking after 5 children and the stress of knowing your husband was fighting might have been too much..and perhaps afterwards she felt she could not go back?.

Can't see another marriage for her after that date .

Pam

Pam Report 29 Mar 2009 23:00

A possibility ?

Surname First name(s) Spouse District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Mar 1924 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brown Herbert A Howe Burton 6b 557
Howe Frances E Brown Burton 6b 557

Pam

Pam Report 29 Mar 2009 23:05

Surname First name(s) Mother District Vol Page

Births Mar 1925 (>99%)

Brown Noreen Howe Burton 6b 657

Births Mar 1929 (>99%)

Brown John Howe Burton 6b 574

Rambling

Rambling Report 29 Mar 2009 23:08

though actually there are several marriages of Fanny Howe ....do you know where they were living at the time?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Mar 2009 04:00

just out of interest, here the birth registrations of 4 of the children. Couldn't find Charles?!

Births Dec 1910 (>99%)

HOWE George R F Burton 6b 387

Births Jun 1913 (>99%)

Howe Alice H F Cuddon Burton 6b 845

Births Jun 1915 (>99%)

Howe Leslie W Cudden Burton upon Trent 6b 819

Births Jun 1917 (>99%)

Howe Marjorie E Cuddon Burton 6b 638

so she could quite well have been suffering from strain and stress

sylvia

Lisa

Lisa Report 30 Mar 2009 06:54

Thanks for everyones help.

I wouldn't know where she was living after she left. She was born in Ipswich so could go back there?

Regarding the birth of Charles Howe- her first son, this was in 1909 in Beighton Norfolk. i'm not even sure what drew them to Burton on Trent

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 30 Mar 2009 13:15

One wonders if the children were all her husbands? 2 were born during the war. Did her husband get leave to go home during the war? I know my grandfather didn't.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Mar 2009 20:45

Frances Emma Cuddon was married in Burton in September quarter 1909, George Charles Howe does not yet appear on freebmd in that quarter.

so it looks as though they had already moved to Burton ....... work maybe?

sylvia

Pam

Pam Report 30 Mar 2009 22:19

Marriages Sep 1909 (>99%)

HOWE George Charles Burton 6b 73_

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 31 Mar 2009 00:20

When did your great Grandfather die? You could try looking for a marriage for her after that.

Otherwise, she probably met someone else and ran away with him. You might have to wait for the 1921 census.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 31 Mar 2009 00:48

Another option is to look for all the births where the mother's maiden is Cuddon and see if you can find a marriage for the other surname. You can do this on FreeBMD. Sounds a daunting task, but there aren't too many Cuddon births.

Rose