Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Samuel McCall - Middle name added when death regi

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 30 Mar 2009 01:59

Hi all,

Wondering if someone could please give me some ideas here.

I have a Samuel McCall born 30.07.1883 in Barrhead, Renfrew to Thomas McCall and Agnes McCall nee Buchanan. His birth certificate gives him the name of Samuel, no second name.

His marriage certificate to Annie Higgins in Paisley 31.12.1917 gives his name as Samuel McCall. No second name stated.

Samuel then died 25.02.1956 in Paisley, however his death certificate now refers to him as Samuel Manderson McCall.

Can anyone think of a reason why a new name would have been entered? The informant on the death certificate was his son Charles is it likely he would have made a mistake or the registrar could have made a mistake when entering the details?

If Samuel genuinely added a second name, is there somewhere I should look that will tell me he did this? Does anyone know if this was a common practice then?

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks

Rachelle

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Mar 2009 03:43

Have you checked the censuses to see if he has a second initial or name on there? Have you found a baptism for him?

It is very common to find only one name on a birth certificate, and then for the child to be given a second forename at baptism

........ but it is usual then for that second name to be used elsewhere at some time!

I have seen cases where the second name was not used on a marriage certitificate ....... it isn't a rule that you have to use all your names.

In fact, you don't have to use any of your names if it really comes down to it

....... 'cos you don't show any documentation to the vicar to prove you are who you say you are.

sylvia

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam Report 30 Mar 2009 04:32

My grandfather was named Edward on his birth, marriage and death certificates but on my father's marriage cert his name is given as Victor Edward.

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 30 Mar 2009 04:41

Hi,

Thanks Sylvia.

Yep I checked the census records for him up to and including 1901and he was only listed as Samuel. It seems such an unusual name to add in I was just curious how it may have arisen!

Cheers

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 30 Mar 2009 09:36

As its a Scots birth i bet one of the grandmothers was a Manderson.

My grandmother was Elizabeth Cochrane on birth, marriages etc but she was actually Elizabeth Smith Cochrane the Smith being her maternal grandmothers maiden name.

maryjane-sue

maryjane-sue Report 30 Mar 2009 13:44

I have ancestors that often only have one name given for the Birth Registration but give a middle name for their Marriage or Death Registration or Baptism.

You might find that the Baptism gives the full name. Or it could be it was added as an afterthought.