Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adult Christenings

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 30 Mar 2009 14:05

I have found my g.grandmother and her siblings on IGI, but they were all christened on the same day, as adults. How usual is this and for what reasons might it have occurred?

Caz

Caz Report 30 Mar 2009 14:29

Hi,

perhaps your g-grandmothers parents allowed their children to choose their own faith when they were old enough and that is why they were baptised as adults. I have seen this happen in my own family but in more recent times.

I believe that in the past you had to have been baptised to be able to marry in church.

Caz x

Janet

Janet Report 30 Mar 2009 15:14

Hello christine
Quite a few of my relatives have been christened on the same day.In one case 3 children were born in Huddersfield but they got christened back in Horbury,on the same day ,a few years later.( Probably the mother didn't fancy Huddersfield. ) I have another case where my gt gt grandmother got christened aged over 40 in the late 1830's. This caused me a lot of confusion knowing she was born 1792 but didn't connect her to the person of her name christened in 1837. There was also the belief that if they didn't get christened that they would be left 'on top' when they died. Probably some 18th century spin doctor. I think most children were baptised in order to allow them to get married in church. In the case of non conformist the children were 'dedicated' as babies then chose to be baptised when they were adult.
I would say that it is very usual to have group christenings.-JLe

Christine

Christine Report 30 Mar 2009 15:29

Thank you both. I think you're probably right - they were all girls and perhaps they were trying to ensure that nothng stood in the way of their marriages.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 30 Mar 2009 17:32

I have a family of seven in the tree - 6 of them were baptised on the same day ranging from ages 16 down to 4 months. I think in their case it was to save money!

Although I read an article recently in a FHS magazine about when a new vicar appeared in the area going round visiting his parishioners and chivvying them along to be baptised if they'd not been.

I noticed something like that happening in a set of baptism records I was looking at for Camberwell. New vicar and lots and lots of baptisms - some of whom were definitely not new borns!

Jill

Christine

Christine Report 31 Mar 2009 22:08

Thank you for that Mrs Grumpy - that one wouldn't have occurred to me!

Sorry, I haven't been able to get back to the computer since yesterday so only just seen your reply.

Chris

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 1 Apr 2009 01:39

If you are going back to the 1800s, the children were christened in a "job lot" because it was the only day the parents had off work. For the same reason lots of marriages took place on Christmas Day.

Maggie

Christine

Christine Report 1 Apr 2009 09:59

And we think we have it hard! Thank you.

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 1 Apr 2009 10:56

Children were baptised to enable them to get parish relief if the family fell on hard times.
Each parish were responsible for their own. People could be sent back to their own parish for help unless they were settled.