Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

printing yout tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Victoria

Victoria Report 31 Mar 2009 07:28

Hi
Can anyone advise me on printing my tree. I would like to print it off and have seen the print preview section, however I was wondering if it was possible to print only one line of the tree, for example if I choose only to go down my dad's side of the tree and simply print his side, then print my mum's side of the tree as a different print so it is easier to read. is this possible please

Vicki

Alan

Alan Report 31 Mar 2009 09:14

Assuming you are using GR, you can highlight the sections you wish to print. On the 'Print Preview' page, move the cursor over the section you want to print, click on that and click, Print Selection.

Victoria

Victoria Report 31 Mar 2009 10:46

Many thanks, I had noticed this but the preview is so tiny I couldnt read it, i will see if I can find a way of enlarging that preview or just print what I can and use that as a basis.

vicki

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 1 Apr 2009 01:48

Hi Vicki

I don't know anything about using Genes - it might be excellent - but if you have a family tree program on your computer it might have additional flexibility.

I use Family Tree Maker, the old version I have didn't cost much, and I printed out a nice looking tree for each of my four grandparents, plus one from my children to my parents. You can, of course, get them printed professionally if you want something to cover your living room wall!

There are free programs out there too, I bet they all offer some facilities. FTM enables you to choose the size of boxes, font size and different colours, plus what details you want to include (e.g. just date of birth and death, or marriage date, or place of birth, marriage and death), etc.

Good luck.

Maggie

Victoria

Victoria Report 1 Apr 2009 12:42

Thanks very much for that advice Maggie, I shall have a look around for something along those lines as it sounds like the thing I want. Dont quite want to cover the walls with it! but I know my dad would like to see his side in its entirity and I have recently contated some of my dad's cousins who are very interested in seeing the tree as well and will not be interested in my mum's side.

Vicki