Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Reserved occupation ww2

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 31 Mar 2009 10:16

Can anyone help? I am trying to find out some info. on my grandad, who im told, worked during ww2, in a reserved occupation designing parts for aircraft, spitfire has been mentioned, also vickers. Any ideas?

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 31 Mar 2009 10:34

Where abouts did he live that will give an indication what type of aircraft he may have worked on

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 31 Mar 2009 10:50

I agree with Colin if you can find where he lived then the local factories would the possibilities. For Instance my family lived in Charlton SE LOndon and dad worked in the Woolwich Arsenal as a Shell Turner ,he was also exempt from joining up (he did try all three services but was rejected) He was categorised as doing essential war work

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 31 Mar 2009 10:54

my Dad was exempt as he was an engineer - fitter/turner

Susan

Susan Report 31 Mar 2009 11:10

cheers, my grandad originally came from shopshire, but he moved around. I have been told by my mum, he worked at Walton, Lancs, Preston, Lancs, Acton, & later on Brooklands, surrey. She also mentioned English/British electric company, Vickers, & BAE. Any ideas where to look?ive emailed RAF, but as yet no reply :(

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 31 Mar 2009 11:17

If you google Vickers there is a website called:
www.vickers-aircraft.com which has some history on the company.

There's also this one:
www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/Vickers-plc-Company-History.html

Not sure how useful they will be.

Helen

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 31 Mar 2009 11:18

Try Kingston Upon Thames and Lancashire for Vickers. Their early factory was in Kingston.

My Uncle was at both.

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 31 Mar 2009 11:20

Here's a bit of info on the English Electric Company:

In 1917 Dick, Kerr and Company acquired the Preston tram manufacturer, United Electric Car Company. A year later, The English Electric Company was formed. In 1946, English Electric took over The Marconi Company. In 1960 it tried to take over another major electrical company, GEC, but its bid failed. In 1967 English Electric merged with Elliott Automation. In a reverse of the attempted take over of GEC in 1960, GEC acquired English Electric in 1968.

Helen

Susan

Susan Report 31 Mar 2009 11:40

Thanx :)

Pete

Pete Report 31 Mar 2009 13:41

Somewhere I have a small card that belonged to my great grandfather from his WW1 National Service Medical Board.

He was a brewery engineer in Herefordshire but seconded to Vickers in Weybridge during WW1.