Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How to read the Census ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alyj1970

Alyj1970 Report 31 Mar 2009 17:28

Hi, Im really sorry to sound dumb.... but could someone just help explain how to search on the census ?

I tried searching on my grandfather, Frederick James Higgs on the 1891 Census and found his brother George Higgs, Beatrice and Annie Louisa. All living in Cobham, Surrey and most born in Epsom.

But however I change the searches, even if I leave the birth years out and search under the surname Higgs in Surrey, I cannot find any information confirming their parents ?

Would the whole family not be listed together like our voters roll is ? I keep thinking if I can find the four children, then why can I not locate the parents details ?

Am getting very frustrated and as I am knew to this and only just trying to start on my tree, am not an experienced tracer yet ?!?

Alyson

Alyj1970

Alyj1970 Report 31 Mar 2009 17:48

Hi,

Frederick James Birth year was 1891 and he died 1975. Exact birth date 02/09/1891.
The siblings are all correct.. so its def the one...
I just tried the search records on here for 1901 and 1891.... how did you get the parents up ?
That gives me great insight... so the parents were George James and Marie ?
Thanks ever so much for all your help
Alyson

Heather

Heather Report 31 Mar 2009 17:56

All the occupants are listed when you bring up one of those in the household? Do you look right down the bottom of the page? And do you check the image aswell?

Alyj1970

Alyj1970 Report 31 Mar 2009 18:12

Thank you so much...
I was clicking on the image which was bringing up a type of scroll just giving details on the siblings, DOB, address etc as infants and using 4 of my credits.... I wasnt seeing a list of information ?!?
Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction... am going to search the 2 sites you recommended now

Alyson

Heather

Heather Report 31 Mar 2009 20:05

Get yourself an ancestry.co.uk free 14 day trial!

Kate

Kate Report 31 Mar 2009 20:17

Just realised, looking at his date of birth, he probably won't show up on the 1891 census because he wasn't born till September and the census was taken on about the 5th of April that year (I think). So his mother would have been expecting him at the time.

Reading over the "missing" parents, do the children by any chance appear on the top of a page when you look at the image? Could be that the parents are at the end of the previous page and often when you search, the list of those in the household gets split in half because some are on one page and some are on the next.

mgnv

mgnv Report 31 Mar 2009 21:59

The whole 1891 household appears on the same page, viz:
Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 549; Folio 57; Page 33; GSU roll: 6095659.
George James is a Coachman, pob=Cheltenham GLS; Marie pob=Uxbridge MDX
Also, Kerriett is probably Harriett

Births Mar 1885 (>99%)
Higgs Annie Louise H Epsom 2a 35

mgnv

mgnv Report 1 Apr 2009 03:53

You really need g grandad George's b or m.cert to show his dad was Charles, but I note George was a groom in Cobham 1881, viz:

Street address: Stable Yard Hatchford Estate
Household schedule number: 11
George Higgs 24 Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England Servant (Head) Groom Dom Servant
Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 764; Folio: 4; Page: 2; Line: ; GSU roll: 1341179.

1861 England Census
Civil Parish: Leamington Priors
Ecclesiastical parish: St Mary
Town: Leamington
County/Island: Warwickshire
Street address: 7 Back Cottage
Registration district: Warwick
Sub registration district: Leamington
ED, institution, or vessel: 16
Household schedule number: 86

Charles Higgs 33 Chettonham, Gloucestershire, England Head M Groom
Jane Higgs 29 Stutton, Herefordshire, England Wife M
Mary A Higgs 6 Cheltonham, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Scholar
George Higgs 4 Cheltonham, Gloucestershire, England Son
Margaret Higgs 2 Leamington, Warwickshire, England Daughter
Infant Not Named 15d Leamington, Warwickshire, England Daughter [later named Harriet per 1871]

Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 2223; Folio: 10; Page: 13-14; GSU roll: 542938.

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 3204; Folio: 52; Page: 29; GSU roll: 839258.

This is a probable hit:
Marriages Dec 1854 (>99%)
Higgs Charles Cheltenham 6a 851
Tanner Frederick Solomon Cheltenham 6a 851
Powis Jake Cheltenham 6a 251 [Jane Powis p=851 FreeBMD notified 31/3/09]

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Apr 2009 05:21

Alyson

paying for credits on here is the most expensive way to search for your family!!

look for births marriages and eaths after July 1 1837 to about 1930 or 1935 on www.freebmd.org.uk

consider taking out a subscription to www.ancestry.org.uk ..... you can take out a 14 day free trial as Heather suggested, but be sure you cancel it at about day 10 if you decide not to continue, otherwise you might get charged.

practically all of us have subs to ancestry ...... ti may seem expensive, but we couldn't do without it, and WOULDN'T be without it. You get access to so mnay records.

sylvia

ps ............... you have the same spelling of your name as two of my nieces (one on my side one on OH's side, his sis didn't realise she was shoocing the same spelling as my brother had chosen!)

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 1 Apr 2009 09:00

Alyson - it would be worth asking at your library if they have access to the ancestry library edition. I don't know if it's over the whole country, certainly Birmingham has it. It's a bit more limited - you can't look at the original image - but is good for a start.
Jan