Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Australia

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 31 Mar 2009 21:39

My great aunt and family emigrated to Australia in 1925. I have found them on the passenger list of a ship bound for New Zealand but I know they ended up in Sydney Australia. I have no idea how to start tracing the family. Has anyone any suggestions?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 1 Apr 2009 00:00

put some details on here and then when our Australian members come on line - about now I should imagine, they will see your heading and hopefully find something for you

Anne

Anne Report 1 Apr 2009 01:22

Would you be able to supply names and some more information please

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 1 Apr 2009 01:46

Hi Elizabeth I'm in Australia, do you have any deatils of them, names dob etc?.

A lot of people emigrated to both Australia and NZ and then moved again between the two countries.

Rachelle

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 1 Apr 2009 17:01

Thankyou to everyone who responded. It would be really great if something came of this. I have tried to find out about them for years but never got anywhere because I just don't know where to start.

The following details may be of use:

Annie Maria or ( Anne) Barnes (maiden name Shaw but may be known under her step father's name of Dobson) D.O.B. 16. 6.1888.
Her husband Ernest Barnes (don't have D.O.B)
They married in about 1917 in England.
They had three children two of whom were on the ship to New Zealand ( Remuera 5.6.1925). Then Doris was 6yrs old and Joan was 1yr old and registered under the name of Dorothy J. They had another son Albert so he must have been born in Australia because he wasn't on the passenger list. Nor was Ernest so perhaps he worked his passage?

They also travelled with Jane Dobson ( 27.4.1861) who was Annie's mother but she returned to England 7yrs later.

Also in Australia was Annie's brother and I think he was out there already. He was William Arthur ( known in the family as Arthur) D.O.B. 7.7.1885
Its possible that he was called Dobson from his step father or he may have used his fathers name of Shaw.
My mother has a photograph of him sent from Australia, wearing a uniform which could be army or police ~ she doesn't know which. When we visit at Easter I'll get the photo and see if anyone can identify the uniform because that might be a lead.

Although the ship was bound for NZ I know they lived in Sydney Australia too.

The other brother was my grandfather Albert, ( 2.7.1883) he stayed in England although he used to work on ships as a stoker among other things.

Again thankyou to everyone who responded. Its so exciting to think that I may get somewhere this time.
Liz

Anne

Anne Report 2 Apr 2009 02:45

Hi Elizabeth,

Found a death for Annie Maria Barnes in NSW BDM

10072/1974 BARNES ANNIE MARIA parents WILLIAM JANE

This death notice is in Ryerson Index

BARNES Annie Maria Death notice 23JUL1974 Death 86 late of North Balgowlah Sydney Morning Herald 24JUL1974

That's all I have found at the moment
Anne

Anne

Anne Report 2 Apr 2009 03:07

Liz,

I have nudged up Karen who does Sydney Morning Herald Lookups.

I'll send her the information and see if she will look it up for you.

HelenBrissie

HelenBrissie Report 2 Apr 2009 05:32

Hi

Annie Maria Barnes is also listed on Ancestry Australian Electoral Rolls, 1901-1936

Name Annie Maria Barnes
Gender F
Year 1930
State New South Wales
District Warringah

Sorry I dont have Ancestry but if you request a lookup it will give you her details together with any other adults living at the same address.

bye Helen

SueNSW

SueNSW Report 2 Apr 2009 07:24

As Helen found - in 1930 Annie Maria and Ernest Thomas were on the Electoral Roll at Flat 1, 36 Belmont Road, Mosman. Ernest was a chef - Annie "home duties"

Edit to add - erm - this is interesting - they seem to have been listed twice in this roll - they are also at 71 Sydney Road, Manly - again listed as chef and home duities

Cheers
Sue

SueNSW

SueNSW Report 2 Apr 2009 07:34

In 1936 they were at "Kurrajong" Parkview Road, Manly (now considered to be in Fairlight per google maps) still a chef and home duties

Cheers
Sue

Valerie

Valerie Report 2 Apr 2009 08:13

.'Ryerson Index' (on-line) do look-ups of their newspaper death notice/s. ....... Also the 'NSW State Library' has an 'Ask a Librarian' service (on-line) -they too will check newspaper death notices as well as electoral rolls etc. ..Valerie (WA)

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 2 Apr 2009 14:49

Thanks for all the information. Its given me something to act on and research further.