Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can anyone transcribe these parts!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 1 Apr 2009 01:44

Hi,

Just wonering if anyone could help me decipher the writing on two death certfiicates. I'm not sure if you can attach a copy of them so i have noted down what I think I can understand -

The first is a death registered for Bathia Fullerton on 11.10.1883 in Montrose Angus aged 63 years. Reference number 312/00 0276. I can't quite decipher the writing on the name given for her father - I think it is Colin Edwards - private Royal Artillery and the mother Mary Edwards nee Millar.

The second is the death of her husband William Fullerton, 08.02.1889 Montrose, Angus Reference number 312/00 0035. I cannot read the name of his mother nor his fathers occupation - it looks like Beemaker Journeyman but not sure that that would be correct!

Is it best to go back to Scotlands Peopel and ask them for further details on this or can anyone help? I have enlarged the images but they still are not clear.

Kind regards

Rachelle

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 1 Apr 2009 03:27

Hi Rachelle, the reference numbers won't mean anything to anyone, and I have just been informed that you cannot attach anything to messages sent via Genes, so you would need to contact someone via their personal email address to have a look.

The second certificate, I don't think he would be a Beemaker, but perhaps a Beermaker. A journeyman is supposedly someone who has served an apprenticeship and is therefore possibly self-employed rather than employed, though the distinction is not clear. Not sure if the description is different in Scotland.

I doubt if Scotlands People will help further, but maybe someone will come forward to advise on this.

Maggie

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 1 Apr 2009 03:28

Hi Rachelle, the reference numbers won't mean anything to anyone, and I have just been informed that you cannot attach anything to messages sent via Genes, so you would need to contact someone via their personal email address to have a look.

The second certificate, I don't think he would be a Beemaker, but perhaps a Beermaker. A journeyman is supposedly someone who has served an apprenticeship and is therefore possibly self-employed rather than employed, though the distinction is not clear. Not sure if the description is different in Scotland.

I doubt if Scotlands People will help further, but maybe someone will come forward to advise on this.

Maggie

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 1 Apr 2009 03:31

Thanks Maggie, I guess I will have to leave it as a mystery!

mgnv

mgnv Report 1 Apr 2009 08:39

I pm'ed Rachelle.

FYI I read Bathia's dad as Colin, and William's mum as Mary Fullerton MS Black, and his dad's occup as Beemaker Journeyman.

MS is the standard abbreviation on Scottish regos for Maiden Surname, and obviously Beemaker makes no sense, and is, I think, a typo for Beermaker.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 1 Apr 2009 14:12

Can you find his father on census records to confirm his occupation, or maybe his address (in a pub?). I have a beer-maker, seems he made it in a barn on his father's farm.

Good luck (oh, and never give up!)

Maggie

Helen

Helen Report 1 Apr 2009 18:08

Think this is the census for William Fullerton in 1841. No sign of his father … so no hints on his occupation.

1841 Scotland Census
about William Fullerton
Name: William Fullerton
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1821
Where born: Angus, Scotland

Civil Parish: Montrose
County: Angus
Address: Sherets Class
Parish Number: 312
Neighbors: View others on page

Household Members: Name Age
Mrs Fullerton
William Fullerton
Ann Fullerton
James Smart
David Carncross

Birth: William Fullerton: 28th December 1816: Montrose, Angus
Father: James Fullerton
Mother: Mary Black (confirmed on death certificate by mgnv)

Helen

Helen Report 1 Apr 2009 18:12

Marriage: From IGI

James Foulerton and Mary Black
16th October 1808
Montrose, Angus

Children
1. MARY FULLERTON - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Birth: 26 FEB 1814 Montrose, Angus, Scotland
2. JANE FULLERTON - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Birth: 22 NOV 1822 Montrose, Angus, Scotland
3. ANN FULLERTON - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 06 NOV 1825 Montrose, Angus, Scotland
4. WILLIAM FULLERTON - International Genealogical Index
5. JAMES FOULERTON - International Genealogical Index
6. ELIZABETH FOULERTON - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Birth: 25 SEP 1809 Montrose, Angus, Scotland

GaryOnTheAlgarve

GaryOnTheAlgarve Report 1 Apr 2009 19:00

hi,
I wonder wether the beemaker could be a;-

Beeskep Maker - A person who made beehives?

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 2 Apr 2009 22:47

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all the assistance provided.

Mgnv cracked it I believe, things did seem to come together based on his deciphering.

Maggie thanks that it the correct census recrod. I'll try and track down where he lived. It did strike me as funny that he would be a beermaker as the family seemed to be Methodists, but you never know!

Gary, by the writing it definatley looks like beemaker or beermaker. No p's in there to indicate about the making of the bee hives, althought that was a clever guess!

Thank you all once again, wouldn't life be much simpler if all the entries were written in block letters a hundred years ago!!!

Cheers

Rachelle