Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Windows Updates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 1 Apr 2009 08:24

I notice that today's updates include Internet Explorer 8. Installation is quite lengthy, around half an hour, and includes a couple of reboots.

I know some members are wary of updating their browser, in case they hit problems but I can say that I have had IE8 beta installed for several months without problems (XP - can't vouch for Vista).

Microsoft claim there are several new features as well as being faster and safer than before. Details on here.

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/internet-explorer/features/overview.aspx

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 1 Apr 2009 11:02

Do you mean without problems?

Heather

Heather Report 1 Apr 2009 11:33

Is it the Net Framework one? Ive just gone to see if I should be updating today and its taking ages to install - does it include IE8?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 1 Apr 2009 11:41

All that I had this morning was IE8. I think I saw something to do with Net Framework a little while ago.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 1 Apr 2009 16:29

I keep getting updates for genuine OS validation thingy, have had them several tines, why if I have a genuine setup do these occur? any Ideas?
and do I need to actually install them?

thanks

Bob

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 1 Apr 2009 18:47

The validation thingy is to check that you don't have a counterfeit version of windows on your PC. OK if you are legit but big probs if not.

If you get rejected, but can prove that you have paid for your copy of windows then MS will accept and validate you. Othewise you will need to pay out some £100 notes to get valid.

You can ignore it, and may be able to receive vital security updates, but are unlikely to upload new windows features, unless you get validated.