Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1901 Scottish regiments

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Blue1

Blue1 Report 1 Apr 2009 09:21

Hi,
Thoughts on this please.
i have just read an original census image for Aberdeen 1901 and find that my great grandfather was listed as "a soldier at the front"
He lived in Aberdeen and i know that the Gordon Highlanders had a barracks there,so i am assuming he was in that regiment.
But were there any other regiments he may have been in for that locality?
Also what front? does any one have any ideas please.?
I know he didn't die as he is on my Grannies marriage cert in 1926,so how would i find out about his military service?
Any tips or hints would be much appreciated
Thank you
Blue12

Artbeat

Artbeat Report 1 Apr 2009 12:11

The front that he could of been on was probably in south africa during the BOER WAR.

You can apply for his records here.

Soldiers who served prior to 1921

The National Archives
Ruskin Avenue
Kew
Richmond
Surrey, TW9 4DU
Tel: 02088763444

or

Family Research Enquiries
The Gordon Highlanders Museum
St Luke’s
Viewfield Road
Aberdeen
AB15 7XH
[email protected]

Blue1

Blue1 Report 1 Apr 2009 12:44

Thanks Richard,
my computer is playing up and crashing,so sorry for the delay in the reply.
I think i will contact the museum today to see if they can help
Also I'll write to Kew.
I just checked my viewed records on SP and it appears i haven't bought the image of his marriage for some reason!
so as my great grandparents married in 1899 the cert may say what his occupation was and if it was a soldier, then I'm in luck,as on my Granddads marriage cert it gives his regiment and his army n/o.
So fingers crossed,with the addresses you've given and the other info i hope to get today i may be able to get some info
Thanks again
Blue12

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 1 Apr 2009 14:57

It's unlikely that a Regimental Museum will have his records, and anyway you don't know for sure which regiment he was in. If they have survived they will be at Kew. You can't apply for them - you would have to go there or get someone to go for you. If he went on to serve in WW1 his records might be on Ancestry.

Blue1

Blue1 Report 1 Apr 2009 15:07

was plain ann now annielaurie,
thanks,
I've just been on the Gordon highlanders museum site and they will do a preliminary search for free,but of course i will have to wait for the info i hope to get from the SP image first
So if all goes well i might find something out about him by the end of the week.I had thought of asking Lesley who does the ww1 look ups to have a go but as my Great granddad would have been about 40 i think in 1914 and married i wondered if he would have been in that war.
Any way thanks for your input,it's helped me to get focused.
Blue12