Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Publican

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 1 Apr 2009 12:57

Hi

Can anyone tell me if in 1841 you needed some sort of licence to be a publican or a chemist ( i have both on 1841 census ) and if there is somewhere i can look to find them

Thank you
Julie

Netty

Netty Report 1 Apr 2009 13:52

Hi Julie, Re: Publican Licence, according to the following website, records of these licences can generally be found in Quarter and Petty Session records at local record offices.

http://www.sfowler.force9.co.uk/page_27.htm

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 1 Apr 2009 13:58

Hi Julie

I read somewhere that, from about the mid-1700s, a responsible person had to obtain a licence to sell alcohol and agree to control drunken behaviour, fighting and prostitution on the premises. There are a couple of websites on this if you google "history of the pub", but they seem a bit amateur on the subject (like me!).

I have a couple of chemists, one was an "apothecary", probably dispensing home-made herbal remedies and never bothered to apply for any licence that might have existed. Another was a mixer of chemicals used in the silk industry - probably had no qualifations, just gave himself the title.

Hope yours are more interesting than mine.

Maggie

Julie

Julie Report 1 Apr 2009 14:07

Thanks Netty will have a look and see if i can find her

They wearn't very good at what they were doing, the mother was the publican ( husband supposedly drank himself to death ) , son chemist by 51 census he was working in the pits, so nothing really interesting really Maggie

Thanks to both of you

Julie