Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Impossible Task ???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 1 Apr 2009 14:23

I am trying to trace my friends biological father for her but she has no info other than where he worked in 1940 and where he lived then. As there were no census records for that time I am at a loss how to proceed. Without a name, is it an impossible task or is there some one out there who can suggest a route? Thanks.
I have since found out that her father was not at the address until 1941 and had left by 1943 therefore was not on any electoral register as there were none 1940-44. Has anyone any other suggestions please?

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 1 Apr 2009 14:32

If she has an actual address it might be possible to find him on the Electoral Register. But not sure if these were maintained during WW2 so you'd need to check that first. Contact the nearest large library to the area where he was living - they should know what years the ER covers.

Jill

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 1 Apr 2009 14:50

There were no registers produced between 1940 and 1944 (inclusive) - try 1939. However, as Jill say, I think you need to know what street he lived on, or at least be able to pinpoint a "ward", otherwise you might have to trawl through an entire town/city.

Maggie

Linda

Linda Report 1 Apr 2009 15:35

thanks for those tips, I do know the exact address, as he was lodging with her mother ! I will try the electoral register.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 2 Apr 2009 00:44

Okay Linda,

Hope you find the information. Is he still alive? Or does he have relatives still alive? I am sure I don't need to advise you and your friend to tread carefully after you have found the information. It could be very emotional for your friend.

Love

Margaret