Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Leicester Electoral roll lookup or advice please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

faerykingdom

faerykingdom Report 1 Apr 2009 18:26

Hi,

I am trying to clear up the mystery of who was "Uncle Jesse". My Grandad was born in the early 1930s, he remembers an old man called Uncle Jesse who lived with his family in an upstairs room and his parents looked after until his death.

The thing is the family name is Milton, and the name Jesse does run in that family, although I can't find a close enough match with the candidates I've got to be realistic.

The closest relative I've found is my Grandad's 2 x great grandmother Emma Milton (nee Chalcraft) had a brother called Jesse Chalcraft (1832-1889) who also had a son called Jesse (1869-?).

I think this is a bit far fetched for him to be living with a so distant relative in a different County (all the Milton's and Chalcrft's were originally from Surrey), especially as he had a wife and children of his own.

I do know that it's possible that he might not be a relative whatsoever, but that's why I was hoping someone might be able to have a look at the electoral rolls for Leicester next time they went to the records office. I know it's a long shot, but I know that the Milton family were living at:

84 Uppingham Road in 1933

Any help or advice would be great as my Grandad wonders to this day who he was and there is nobody left to ask!

Thank you in advance for any help/advice.

Vicky X