Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Prison records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wendy

Wendy Report 1 Apr 2009 19:01

Hi, i have a relative that I believe was sent to prison in the 1940's/50's for fraud.
I think it was in England, but don't know which county. I've googled the name but nothing has come up.
Does anyone have any ideas how I should start?
Thanks

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 2 Apr 2009 00:39

Hi Wendy, it will be a bit difficult with no county to go on, otherwise I would have suggested contacting the local records office for newspaper reports.

If you know where he was living at the time, it is still worth a try.

Maggie

Wendy

Wendy Report 2 Apr 2009 19:59

Thanks Maggie, this chap was very elusive.
He left his young family more or less destitute, he would disappear and then return, only to disappear again.
I think that his early roots were in Yorkshire, he was posted to Shropshire during WWII.
I think that the couple divorced in the 1950'/60's so I might be able to trace something there.
Thanks for your help,
Wendy