Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1901 Census - 2 Records, Same Person????

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Erika

Erika Report 1 Apr 2009 22:51

I have found a record of a relative in the 1901 census which is 100% correct. I have also found another record, for the same name, recorded as a patient in the monmouth Lunatic Asylum.

Is it possible for him to have been admitted to the Asylum inbetween when the records were recorded. I didnt want to just rule this out as the cause of death was falling from a bridge. The question is how and why??

Any help much appreciated

Erika :-)

Vicci

Vicci Report 2 Apr 2009 01:34

I suppose it is possible,

is it a very unusual name?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Apr 2009 04:39

Not unknown

others have found that relatives are on censuses twice

usually seems to be relative puts them down where they nromally live, but they ended up elsewhere

I guess it could happen if someone filled in the sheet early expecting "john" home that night ................... but he actually stayed somewhere else like a hotel or the Asylum

sylvia

Erika

Erika Report 2 Apr 2009 09:37

So were all the census' written on the same day??

Heather

Heather Report 2 Apr 2009 10:02

In theory - yes - they had to show who would be there on that night.

Ive got census records with children shown with mum and dad and also up the road with auntie and uncle.

Vicci

Vicci Report 2 Apr 2009 11:38

1901 census was taken on night of 31 March

so if you manage to find records of the asylum you'll be able to figure out waht happened

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 2 Apr 2009 11:52

I have a grt grt grandmother who was a monthly nurse. she is listed twice on the 1871 census once at her usual home address by her daughter she lived with,and then at the address of the mum she was caring for.
I suspect she was actually with the mother as the Head of House was a Busines man who I would have thought would be more inclined to give the correct answers. rather than with her married daughter and family who couldnt read or write