Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Coroners inquest

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wendy

Wendy Report 2 Apr 2009 20:52

Hi, I've just got a copy of a death cert for my G-G Grandad who died in Werneth in1883.

It states 'FOUND DEAD HAVING DIED FROM NATURAL CAUSES', certificate received from F.W Johnson Coroner for Cheshire.Inquest held 8 Sept 1883.

Does anyone know if I can get a copy of the inquest report,I had a quick look on the Cheshire CC site but couldn't see any references,or would it just be reported in the local papers?
Thanks
Wendy

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 Apr 2009 21:07

Your best bet would be to see if there is a report in the local newspaper of the time about the inquest. Newspaper reports of inquests are usually quite detailed. I have one about my great grandfather's death in a railway accident and it gives lots of detail.

You should find backdated copies of newspapers on microfilm at the nearest reference library to where the event took place.

Kath. x

Cheshiremaid

Cheshiremaid Report 2 Apr 2009 22:58

As Kath says the local newpaper would be your best bet. I have emailed the libraries in the past for articles or obituaries and they have been very helpful. Often they will send you copies for a small amount...the most I have spent is £2.

Werneth used to come under Stockport but now comes under Tameside so you could try either Tameside or Stockport...the email address for Stockport is...

[email protected]

For Tameside you can contact them via their website...

http://www.tameside.gov.uk/archives

Linda

Colette

Colette Report 2 Apr 2009 23:10

Hi Wendy what was his name ?????

Regards Colette

Wendy

Wendy Report 3 Apr 2009 11:38

Hi, Thanks for the replies.
I think a trip to the library is now on the cards.
My surname is Robinson, my G G Grandad was Robert Robinson.
Once again many thanks.
Wendy