Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Unable to read certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 3 Apr 2009 02:03

At what stage do most people ask for a reprint of a certificate they have requested?

I have one in which I can read or guess at about 60% of the information written but they are mostly guesses.

Is there anyone that would like to try and decipher an image for me? MGNV was kind enough to do two yesterday but I don't want to be rude and ask one person all of the time! Some images I return and I have had one come back much clearer, I'm just curious what everyone does.

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 3 Apr 2009 02:38

Are these certs from the local reg office or GRO? The local reg office sent all the bmds every 3 months to GRO This is where mistakes are made.

If the cert is really bad then they shouldnt sent it out. I have a Mercy transcribed as Mary. It was a death cert without an age as it was 1856. I was thinking it was a death of a Mary I had but was shocked to see it was Mercy( after looking closely). The bonus was she was the baby sister of my gt grandfather who I knew nothing about. Her surname was mistranscribed but because it was an unusual surname I ordered the cert. I was then able to confirm her name was Mercy

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 3 Apr 2009 04:27

Hi Quinsgran,

Yes they are GRO ones. This one in particular I can't quite follow. I'm not sure if it the way they scan them or what they do, so I thought I'd check check and see if people just try and suss them out or ask them to be redone.

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 3 Apr 2009 09:30

nudge

BessofDorset

BessofDorset Report 3 Apr 2009 10:37

I had a certificate from GRO part of which I could not read -I rang the local reg office as stated on certificate and they went through the certificate with me on the phone and cleared up all the details I could not read -