Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

scottish birth

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Valerie

Valerie Report 4 Apr 2009 17:51

Hello, CAn anyone tell me how to look up a birth in Scotland in 1918, please?

carol58

carol58 Report 4 Apr 2009 18:20

Scotlands People (http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/) would be your best bet as the online source for parish registers, bmds, censuses, etc, although it is a pay site. If you know the area of Scotland you can sometimes find a local family history society. Try Googling.

Also here's a link for some Scottish sites: http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/home/scotland/genealogy.html

Tina

Tina Report 4 Apr 2009 23:40

scotlandspeople only lets you look up births more than 100 years ago. If you could go to Edinburgh you could see the certificate but not print it without payment of £7.
Local Registrar's offices in Scotland can do look ups for you almost up to date for a by the hour fee, expensive if you only want one search but worth it if you go with a list of targets.

If you can't travel the only option is to write to the registrar for the area and ask them to check the parents as those you seek and pay the fee for a copy certificate, still £7.00 I believe. Addresses of local offices can be googled.

lotsofmarmite

lotsofmarmite Report 5 Apr 2009 00:19

Actually, I think that on Scotlands People you can look up births from 1855 to 2006 so it might be worth giving it a try I think you can buy units for about £6.

Good luck.

Mary

Mary Report 5 Apr 2009 01:27

If you have roughly the right dates it is quite easy but you can not view

mgnv

mgnv Report 5 Apr 2009 20:24

If you have to buy an actual certificate, rather than an uncertified copy of the register page, because, say the birth is less than 100y old, then it'll cost 10 GBP rather than the approx 1 GBP for the uncertified image.

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 6 Apr 2009 19:13

Someone on Records is going to Edinburgh & has offered to do some lookups. You could add this birth to her list.

Valerie

Valerie Report 10 Apr 2009 11:11

Many thanks to all, I live in Spain. It seems strange that the free BMD UK does not include Scotland and is so different. Thanks again.

Tina

Tina Report 26 Apr 2009 12:29

Free BMD only gives the reference number to be able to buy the certificate whereas scotlandspeople for £6 of units lets one read and print the full record that is held just as it was written (from 1855 on) by the registrar at registration but only for date pre 100 years of birth, then about 1933 for marriages and 1950 something for deaths. As pointed out you can look up the record number for more recent births but see no detail until you buy the certificate which will be posted to you.

Just one of the many differances between Scotland and England.