Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death certs after 1930

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maureen

Maureen Report 4 Apr 2009 18:53

Can anyone tell me please if I can find out about someones death after 1930 as I don't seem to be able to find anything after 1929 on Ancestry. Thanks

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 4 Apr 2009 18:59

Ancestry have deaths upto 2005, you need to look at the index 1837 to 1983 as the transcribed records are not complete and only go upto abt late 1920s

On ancestry home page, clickon, Birth, Marriage & Death Indexes, it is under, Ancestry.co.uk Quick Links
then under Deaths clickon, Death Indexes 1837 – 1983 and enter a year and +/- as many years as you want upto a maximum of 20 years, then you need to view the actual index image

Roy

Maureen

Maureen Report 4 Apr 2009 19:02

Okay I'll try that Roy Thanks

Maureen

Maureen Report 4 Apr 2009 19:13

Nope nothing. What I'm looking for is my husbands grandfather death cert because I understand it might tell me where he was born. He died between 1925 and 1945, and his name was William Taylor but ancestrys records tell me there were'nt any, but there must have been hundreds!
Anyway rant over, I'll keep trying Thanks

Kate

Kate Report 4 Apr 2009 19:17

I think it was only after about 1969, when they also added dates of birth to the death certificates, that places of birth were given.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 4 Apr 2009 19:19

Maureen, I don't think you understand what i am saying? these records have not been transcribed so You will need to search and view the actual index image quarter by quarter,

use this link and at the bottom of the page under deaths clickon, Death Indexes 1837 – 1983

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/rectype/vital/freebmd/bmd.aspx

then when the results come on the next page you will need to clickon view image for every quarter that you want to search

Roy

Maureen

Maureen Report 4 Apr 2009 19:22

Sorry Roy, Yes I'm with you now. Its really difficult doing that with a name like William Taylor, so I was hoping for a short cut. I'll give it a go when I have a few days to spare! Thanks anyway,

Maureen

Maureen Report 4 Apr 2009 19:27

Thanks Jonesey I have his marraige cert, so I know about when he was born, I've looked on the 1911 census and he was born in London, his father's name was also William Taylor. Beleive it or not he married a Sarah Jones (thousands of them too). I'm just hoping someone else on GR will come up with them both on their tree too. No such luck. Thanks

Maureen

Maureen Report 4 Apr 2009 19:35

Thanks Kate