Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with newbie !

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Glendora

Glendora Report 4 Apr 2009 19:57

Hi, I am a complete novice at this and just wondered if anyone has any tips, I am looking for an uncle, born approx 1940, I am just wondering if there are any quick searches that I can do to ascertain if he is still alive without trawling through all of the records year by year.thanks

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 4 Apr 2009 20:03

Try www.192.com

If he is registered to vote in the UK, and has not chosen to withold his details, he will be on there

Try friendsreunited...you will know which schools he attended, so a search on there should be straightforward.

If you send me his full name by PM (click on my name) I'll check deaths 1984-2005................

Glendora

Glendora Report 4 Apr 2009 20:12

Hi there, thanks for that 192 tip, I can actually see his name there and his wife, but I will have to buy credits , is this how it works. I have signed up with GR and bought credits with ancestry too.Is it best to sign with a few to get the full range of help,thanks

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 4 Apr 2009 20:22

If you have subscribed to Ancestry, that should suffice.............for censuses (apart from 1911) and bmd's.

Finding living people is different, of course.......

I would suggest that you find one of the threads on here which offer Electoral Roll lookups, and send a private message with the name(s), and a request for the address.............

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 4 Apr 2009 20:43

Hi Andrew,
Here is the thread number of one who does electroral roll lookups

http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1133232

Aussie Expat

Aussie Expat Report 5 Apr 2009 02:04

Hi, If you know where your uncle was last living, you could search the telephone directory for that town or area. I found a living relation in this way!!