Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Suffolk records on CD/DVD?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gerry

Gerry Report 9 Apr 2009 12:52

Friends and family keep asking me what I want for my birthday. As I'm 'into' family history at the moment, I'd like to further my research in some areas.

Does anyone know if there are any parish records or anything similar on CD/DVD that are not available on line, that would be helpful to me in tracing my ancestors in the Suffolk areas such as Creeting St. Peter, Creeting St. Mary, Creeting All Saints, Coddenham, Stoke Ash, Stow, Stowmarket, Marks Tey, etc.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Gerry

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 9 Apr 2009 14:37

Gerry

Go to the Suffolk Family History Website
www.suffolkfhs.co.uk

You will find all the information on what is available on it

Most Counties have their own Family History Societys whose members trancribe material and produce CDs etc for sale

Gerry

Gerry Report 9 Apr 2009 16:35

Many thanks for that Elizabeth. I've had a good look round on that site and it's led me to several others that are equally helpful. Seems like there may be a few CD's which may be of help, although several seem to be the Census records that I already have access to on Ancestry.

Thanks again for that though. Very enlightening!

Gerry

Grace

Grace Report 9 Apr 2009 17:38

I think you may find Marks Tey is in Essex, just out side Colchester, sorry if you where already aware of this, Beth

Joy

Joy Report 9 Apr 2009 17:42

... and

http://www.suffolk-surnames-list.co.uk/

Peter

Peter Report 9 Apr 2009 23:38

Gerry,

If you are within striking distance of London an alternative gift might be a day's research fee or even a year's subscription to the Society of Genealogists since they have copies of almost all the parish registers (or Bishop's transcripts) for Suffolk.

Peter

Gerry

Gerry Report 10 Apr 2009 12:18

Grace, yes I did know and should have mentioned that, but thanks anyway ;o)

Joy, Many thanks, another good one to check out :o)

Peter, Once again, another good idea, and one I may well take up on!

Many thanks for all the help folks.

Gerry