Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

mines/pits in Durham

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 11 Apr 2009 07:59

can anyone tell me how to find which pit/mine my great grandfather was working at. In the 1911 census he was a "worker" at Gallowgate. Have checked the mining history site and gallowgate seems to be the name of the "bore"? (I know nothing of mining as I live in Norfolk)! Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Carol

Carol Report 11 Apr 2009 08:34

Hiya
His name is Thomas Milburn from Gateshead. Gonna be real cheeky with another question. The 1911 census has thrown up an interesting fact...thomas's wife says there were 3 children (2 live and 1 dead). Is there any way that you know of that I can trace the other child? One was my grandmother who was not with them at the time of the census (could be living with aunt and uncle), but I know she went into care in 1912.
Sorry for the extra question, but the1911 census has given so much info and its great!
Thanks

Carol

Carol Report 11 Apr 2009 08:37

sorry, me again. Was on the mining site most of last night but until I can find the name of the pit I dont think I can do much more, and yes, it is a good site.
carol

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 Apr 2009 11:24

http://www.dmm2.org.uk/borings/index_g.htm

Carol

Carol Report 11 Apr 2009 11:42

Thanks for taking the time to answer my querry but I'm afraid i must be having a "senior" moment. I have looked through the links but cannot find anywhere to tell me which mine/pit gallowgate belonged to....
carol

Amanda

Amanda Report 11 Apr 2009 16:38

Hi Carol

Gallowgate pit was actually in Newcastle Upon Tyne not Co. Durham.

Carol

Carol Report 11 Apr 2009 17:15

thanks Amanda. Maybe I can find some info now and thanks to everyone else for the other tips and info.
Carol

Elaine

Elaine Report 11 Apr 2009 20:09

The pit was called the north elswick or gallowgate pit ,hope this helps.

Carol

Carol Report 11 Apr 2009 23:20

Many, many thanks. This has been going round my head all day!!
Thank you all for your help. It is very much appreciated.
Carol