Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

marrage certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

June

June Report 11 Apr 2009 13:45

why do ancestry charge 19 pounds last time i payed 7

Sidami

Sidami Report 11 Apr 2009 13:50

you get it for about £7.50 if you send to the GRO I think someone will correct me if I am wrong.

GaryOnTheAlgarve

GaryOnTheAlgarve Report 11 Apr 2009 13:53

if you get them from GRO then they're about £7. Ancestry are a Business at the end of the day they're just there to make a profit.
Hope the Government don't cotton on to what a nice little earner it is
Gary

June

June Report 11 Apr 2009 13:56

thanks some profite june

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 11 Apr 2009 15:02

The charge for certs from the GRO is £7.00 exactly, inclusive of postage

June

June Report 11 Apr 2009 15:06

thanks all iv sent for it £7.00 thats better ant it haha.june

DavidM_UK

DavidM_UK Report 11 Apr 2009 15:14

For anyone who doesn't know it here's the link for the GRO:

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

You have to register, but it's free, and I've never had any spam resulting from the registration.

Delivery of certs is normally about a week, by all accounts much faster than Ancestry! Also, they send out the certs individually, even if you've put in a bulk order. Waste of postage maybe, but at least you don't have to wait until they have completed the whole order.

Be sure to check out the help info on reference checking. If you ask for a reference check against some detail that you know about a person (eg on a birth cert you might know the father's name), they will check this and if it doesn't match will only charge £3 for the search, crediting back the other £4 for the cost of the cert itself.

David