Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Burial inforation help required

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

syboyland1972

syboyland1972 Report 12 Apr 2009 12:14

I am relatively new on this site but have a question i'm hoping someone will be able to help me with. Is there any way of finding out where a person is burried ?,i.e is it possible to check through Genes or through a local records office. If someone could answer this question I would very much appreciate it. Thanks

syboyland1972

syboyland1972 Report 12 Apr 2009 12:37

Hi Joan.

I know the area in which the deceased lived and the year that they died,would it therefore be worth me trying the local council office of that area to see if they do have the relevant information ?. I know that there is a very large graveyard situated opposite the hospital in which they died so I am thinking that that might be the most obvious place to check first.

Thanks for your help,Simon

syboyland1972

syboyland1972 Report 12 Apr 2009 13:09

Thanks Joan. I know that the deceased passed away in 1962 and in the first quarter of the year so at lease I have a firm starting point to try and find the information. Thanks for your help.

Simon

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 12 Apr 2009 13:38

Hi Simon

Unless the family had a grave in a local churchyard, he was probably buried at the municipal cemetery at that time - or perhaps cremated.

You can find out the name(s) of local municipal cemeteries via Google, it should tell you who is responsible for them, and that department may well do a search for you free of charge. Two cemetery offices I know of will provide the names of everyone in the grave, dates of death, dates of burial, address at time of burial, and name and address of who purchased the grave. They will also tell you if there is a headstone.

Hope you are as lucky.

Maggie

syboyland1972

syboyland1972 Report 13 Apr 2009 15:26

Hi Maggie.

That I am aware the family does not have a plot in the cemetery, I know that Wellington Road cemetery is situated about five minutes from the hospital where my brother and sister died so I am guessing that would be the most logical place of burial. That I am aware the cemetery is council run so would I be best in contacting Taunton Deane council as they are the local council for that area ?.

Grumpy

Grumpy Report 13 Apr 2009 15:45

http://www.tauntondeane.gov.uk/tdbcsites/crem/cemeteries/index.asp

Rachel

Rachel Report 13 Apr 2009 17:32

You could also try looking in the local newspapers for obituaries - it will be better if you have the date of death so as to help you narrow your search down. I have found the obituaries to contain information where the deceased person was buried, as well as other relatives names. One word of caution though - it was expensive to put an obituary in the paper, so there may not be one.

syboyland1972

syboyland1972 Report 15 Apr 2009 17:13

Thanks Grumpy.

I have emailed the manager of St.Mary's Cemetery as that is the most likely location.

Thanks Rachel,unfortunately I don't think my parents would of put an obituary in the paper though I will see if I can find any information