Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find a gt uncle, anyone know of a websit

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

*stinkermurdock*

*stinkermurdock* Report 12 Apr 2009 19:47

Hi all

I am hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.
I have been trying to find an uncle of my mums for some time now. I have never been able to find a birth/marriage/death certificate for him. All I have is a photo that my mum gave me a copy off. His name is Sydney Joseph Smith, and with a name like Smith you can guess how hard it has been. lol.

Only info I have on him is that he fell out with my nan, when he cheated on her friend with another girl. My mum remebers him living in Hammersmith as she visited him once, when she was a small girl. I was hoping if I put a photo of him somewhere someone might know him or know of him and maybe give me some more info. ( I can but hope. lol.)

If anyone has any other suggestions I would be very grateful.

Thanks for all your help in advance
Tracie.

Selena in South East London

Selena in South East London Report 12 Apr 2009 19:51

Do you have an approx year and place of birth for him?

*stinkermurdock*

*stinkermurdock* Report 12 Apr 2009 20:09

Hi Selena

I don't have year of birth or place of birth for him. I know his parents married in 1918 in Tunbridge Wells. He has two sisters who were both born in Tunbridge Wells one in 1920 and the other in 1921. Mum thinks Sydney was a couple of years older than her mum born 1921 so its possible he was born between 1918 and 1920, but like I said have never been able to find him. I have even done a blanket search for the birth of a Smith in Buckinghamshire with mothers maiden name of Nye. Four names came up, 2 are the ones I already have registered Newport Pagnell and 2 others which I don't think are connected, and neither of them having even a mention of the names Sydney Joseph in any form lol.

Best wishes
Tracie.

Selena in South East London

Selena in South East London Report 12 Apr 2009 20:31

So he was named after his dad

Marriages Jun 1918
Nye Alice Smith Tonbridge 2a 1770
Smith Sydney J Nye Tonbridge 2a 1770

Do you know who this person is?

Births Sep 1918
Smith Edgar C Nye Tonbridge 2a 1274

*stinkermurdock*

*stinkermurdock* Report 12 Apr 2009 20:53

Hi Selena

No I have no idea who Edgar is, might be worth buying the cert to find out, I have never seen this registration before. lol.

Regards
Tracie.