Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

School Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brian

Brian Report 13 Apr 2009 20:30

Hi all
Can anyone please tell me who would have the school records for my parents.I don't actually know which schools they attended.All I do know is that they were in Burnley, Lancashire by 1920.My father would be 12 years old and my mother 9.Would they be held at the Lancashire Records Office?

Thanks for any help

Brian

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 13 Apr 2009 22:03

Some schools still hold their own records, others have handed them to the archives / Record Office.
We tried to find records for a child born in 1918 and knew which school he attended ( primary level) but the archives told us that the books were closed until 70 years after the last entry, so we have many years to wait.
There seems to not be a hard and fast rule over this, so other authorities may have different rules.

It would be helpful if you could find an address for the family, so that you could view a map showing likely nearby schools.

Gwyn

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 14 Apr 2009 11:30

My mum attended a small village school in the 1920's and 30's and I emailed them asking if they had any information. The secretary responded saying that they had found mention of my mum on a number of occasions and offered to photocopy the relevant pages for me.

Without the name of the school, though, it sounds as it might be a bit of an uphill struggle, just knowing where to start looking.

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 14 Apr 2009 12:18

Brian.

The records you are looking for could be at the Local Studies and archives in Burnley. If you contact they maybe able to help you by either giving you the info or telling you where to find the records
Brian after I had posted this I had a quick look at the National Archives site the school records are held at the Lancashire record office but if you type Burnley schools in the seach box it will come up with a list of the schools and registers held at the records office

Brian

Brian Report 14 Apr 2009 13:22

Thank you to everyone who has helped me with this problem.
I will have a look at the RO archives and check with the schools.
I now have a better understanding of where to look

Regards
Brian

Ann

Ann Report 15 Apr 2009 23:47

Thanks for this post. I wrote to a school my grandfather attended giving all relevant information and asked if they had any details on him and whether they might have an old photo of the school. Obviously I offered to pay any costs and also enclosed a stamped addressed envelope for their reply. I have heard nothing. Will now try the relevant Records Office.