Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1911 census Original Pages (help please)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nuttybongo

nuttybongo Report 14 Apr 2009 17:43

Hi there
Is it worth viewing the original pages, i know its more credit, but i have spot on information, so i know that the search will be quite good. Any help would be great.
many thanks

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 14 Apr 2009 17:50

Plus you get to see the original handwriting of your forebearer. (Unless they are in an institution)

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 14 Apr 2009 18:00

I viewed one of mine, the number of children born/died was totally wrong.

Maggie

RobG

RobG Report 14 Apr 2009 23:12

By seeing the original, you obviously take mistranscriptions out of the equation (obviously if you believe FMP there aren't many - personally, I'd rather believe in Santa, the Tooth Fairy and that my lottery ticket will come up on Saturday!!!).

Also Meg, if I found one where the number of children was "totally wrong", I try to get in to their mind to work out why they put what they put and if nothing made sense, I'd be asking whether it was me that had it totally wrong - I had one that had different figures to what I had and after a lot of head-scratching it led me to a missing sibling.

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 14 Apr 2009 23:16

The original has been worth it for me. I too found an unknown sibling who died as an infant. Also an occupation & addresses have been mistranscribed.

Maggie were they totally wrong? Surely they know how many chidren they had. Unless you KNOW they were lying.

Ozi.

Gypsy

Gypsy Report 14 Apr 2009 23:36

They didn't always tell the truth though!
I have the images for my great grandparents - He is at home with the children (all but 1) and all the info is correct, Well it matches up to what I had found.
She is living in another household as the 'housekeeper', She has a baby with her, She lies about how long she has been married and the children that she has. Im trying to find out why she lied.....

Pat

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 15 Apr 2009 13:21

I'm glad I looked at the original census record as my gt Grandfather had filled it out incorrectly.

He had listed all of his children, even the ones that were married including my grandma!

But he biggest bonus was the fact that this time he had entered 2 of his children by their full names yet previous census had only their 'known as names'....no wonder I couldn't find their birth records!

He had also writed 'Died' against some of them and as their surname was Davis it's helped me enormously to get those death certificates too..

Caz

Caz Report 15 Apr 2009 13:35

Hi,

I bought the original pages of all of my direct lines and I'm very glad I did. Because of it I was able to find my dad an uncle he never knew he had.

Caz x