Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Windy Blow

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dugless

Dugless Report 17 Apr 2009 09:57

Also known as Charles Cole but born David King, Windy died in 1986. Does anyone have access to the online archives of 'The Stage' for June 1986 where I believe there is an obituary?

Dugless

Dugless Report 17 Apr 2009 11:23

Yes, but I was wondering if anyone already had a subscription who could access it for me.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 17 Apr 2009 13:39

Is this him?

Charles Cole/David Cecil (Windy Blow)
1910 - 198?

A pioneer of British film cartoons, but later known as television's first balloon act, twisting balloons into animal and other shapes.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 17 Apr 2009 13:41

From "Manual of Balloon Modeling, Vol. 1, An Encyclopedic Series" by Val Andrews, 1981, Magico Magazine, NYC:

I have found the art of balloon modeling a joy to watch since I first saw it done by Wally Boag in the early 'fifties. But I understand that "Windy Blow" was performing the art in England as early as 1945. Both Jay Marshall and Tommy Windsor name one H.J. Bonnert of Scranton, PA, as the "daddy of them all." It seems that Mr. Bonnert performed a modeling act with balloons at a Pittsburgh Magicians' Convention way back in 1938!.... As far as modeling from one long balloon is concerned, Windy Blow claims to have done this in 1945, and he certainly published a one-balloon animal with details in Max Andrew's Magic Magazine in February, 1953. At least this proves wrong the generally held view that one-balloon animals were originated as late as 1960, and in the United States.

Dugless

Dugless Report 17 Apr 2009 17:21

That's him, Margaret, and thanks for finding a reference that had so far eluded me. I knew Val Andrews. He was a font of all knowledge in the strange world I inhabit, but, like most other such fonts, including Ali Bongo, they are sadly no longer with us.