Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help please 1901 census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nuttybongo

nuttybongo Report 17 Apr 2009 16:35

Hi there folks,
not sure if you can still look on the census for me, or parish records for Leeds. Looking for a family. Father James William Hill. Children born 1902 and further, so can't get them that way. Wondered if he appeared on the 1901 census, know his father is John Hill. Could be in the seacroft or Barwick in Elmet area of Leeds if that helps narrow it down. Would like to know wifes name, as the 1911 census shows him widdowed and i have tried several variations on free bmd for them. To no luck.
Cany anyone help me in this search.
thanks again.

nuttybongo

nuttybongo Report 17 Apr 2009 16:46

hi there Jonesey,
Yes that could be. But when i put in for any of the children or the various name combinations, i can't find her death. Not sure where she died, bu i would have thought leeds, as all the children are born in Leeds.
not sure where to go from here. Thanks for searching.

nuttybongo

nuttybongo Report 17 Apr 2009 21:37

hi there Jonesey,
thanks for that, Yes that sounds right for him. Dads name John and mums name Ruth. Thanks, thats really good. I think that the James William at the bottom married to a Mary might be the right one, did find one with a mary on free bmd, but maybe the jo bit in the middle was spelt wrong. Many thanks for doing that for me. It is kind of you for taking the time to search. thanks

Pam

Pam Report 17 Apr 2009 23:43

Have you tried the 1911 census ?

www.1911census.co.uk It is pay to view.

nuttybongo

nuttybongo Report 18 Apr 2009 09:34

hi there,
Yes have done the 1911 census, this is where my new information came from. So i wanted to find out more, by checking the next census back. Thanks for your help though

mgnv

mgnv Report 18 Apr 2009 12:18

The GRO isn't the only place you can buy an m.cert - you could also buy this one from Leeds RO, and their index is (at least partially) online:
http://www.yorkshirebmd.org.uk/cgi/marrind.cgi

Yorkshire Marriage indexes for the years: 1899
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
HILL James W JONES Mary A St Hilda, Leeds Knowsthorpe Leeds CE37/378

nuttybongo

nuttybongo Report 18 Apr 2009 16:50

Lovely, Thanks for that everyone. Its good to help and be helped. Thanks again.