Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hot Matches

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

redhotmama

redhotmama Report 20 Apr 2009 20:00

Hi there,
is anyone else finding that when they look at their new hotmatches at least half of them aren't matches at all.
I am getting a mixture of some family and some total strangers from the same members

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 20 Apr 2009 22:44

I disabled my hot matches thingy. It took so long to delete them each time there was a new crop. Drove me crazier!

redhotmama

redhotmama Report 21 Apr 2009 15:35

Glad it's not just me then.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 22 Apr 2009 09:50

I wasn't aware that you can disable Hotmatches, only stop receiving notifications that you have new ones.

If you look at the help page you will see GR are aware that sometimes there are errors in matching - I have only ever had this once and it was fixed at the next match run. It also can happen if someone uploads a new gedcom which has the match name in a different place on the file, as to when it was just matched. Again, usually sorts itself out in due course, presumably when one of the underlying indexes is rebuilt.

Despite the shortcomings, they do occasionally turn up something of interest, so worth checking, at least as far as I am concerned.

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 22 Apr 2009 11:26

Hi BrinsleyS, That's what I've done disabled something so I don't get it. Was it the notifications that were driving me crazy. Oops sorry knew it was something I turned off.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 22 Apr 2009 12:32

Wouldn't miss my Hot Matches for anything!

Have had some very useful contacts from them. I even check the new ones with just one match - they may have just joined and have some really helpful info - or , I may be able to help them.

GR seem to match names and dates of birth only - I just delete those who don't fit the area I am researching.