Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Divorce records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbara

Barbara Report 21 Apr 2009 16:33

Does anyone know where else to obtain Divorce Records (other than from Principal Registry of the Family Division, Decree Absolute Section, First Avenue House, 42-49 High Holborn, in London). They've done a search already but the records I need cover the period 1931-1943 and the Registry in London tell me that (some of) their records for that period were destroyed in WW2. I only have the two names, and not a specific date or year, let alone area but I suspect the divorce would have been granted in London. Any advice/help would be much appreciated.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 21 Apr 2009 17:22

Barbara

Don't know if you have seen the NA guide to divorce after 1858?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=53

It doesn't give alot of hope but does suggest looking for a local newspaper report if all else fails.

Good luck
Chris

Barbara

Barbara Report 23 Apr 2009 14:19

Thanks Chris, I will give this a try. Regards Barbara

Barbara

Barbara Report 23 Apr 2009 15:17

Just been on to National Archives and apparently there is available the divorce record I am looking for. Thanks very much indeed for your help Chris.