Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do you think a man could go from Dock Labourer to.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 21 Apr 2009 22:09

......Railway Porter from one census to another? Opinions would be appreciated please! This man did move - married in West Derby 1890, Bootle in 1891 then definately in Chester in 1901??

Thanks,

Kate

Sam

Sam Report 21 Apr 2009 22:12

I suppose they could do, if everything else matches up. It is quite possible for someone to change occupations in the 10 years between censuses.

Sam x

Netty

Netty Report 21 Apr 2009 22:14

Kathryn, i have an Ancestor who was a Labourer in 1881, in prison in 1891 & owning his own buisness in 1901 so i would say yes, anythings possible.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Apr 2009 23:00

Lots of my family went from being farm labourers to working in different jobs on the railways. It also meant that both sides of my family went from living in rural areas to living in industrial towns.

The coming of the railways meant new jobs for lots of people, so I'd say it was perfectly possible for your man to change jobs.

Kath. x

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 22 Apr 2009 10:19

Absolutely, there wasn't a lot of difference between a dock labourer and a porter - basically the same sort of work.

Living in Bootle, working at the docks would have been very common, but there wouldn't have been much call for dock workers if the family moved to Chester, so getting work as a porter would make a lot of sense.

Incidentally, West Derby was the parish and registration area for the whole of north Liverpool, not just the small village suburb it is today, so the likelihood is that the marriage took place in Bootle, not West Derby Village.

Heather

Heather Report 22 Apr 2009 16:42

Was he a soldier at any point? Railway jobs were pretty coveted at that time and often went to ex military men who had the right bearing and discipline (the Railways were run like the military back then - if only ............)

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 22 Apr 2009 18:24

Excellent feed back thank you. All really useful and I am getting a good picture of my man! Don't know if he was a soldier yet - thats another matter to investigate. Thanks all, Kate xx

Merlin38

Merlin38 Report 22 Apr 2009 18:57

Have one relative who went from farm labourer to sculptor in between censuses. He then became an author as well.

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 22 Apr 2009 19:34

Just found him on 1901 census as Breaksman (serves breaks on trains or trams) living in Rhyl - he was all over the place! Jack of all trades. Funnily enough his son and grandson had several occupations and they included mechanics too.

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 22 Apr 2009 19:35

I ought to say that I had previosuly thought I had the right man in 1901 census but now realise that was a different and unmarried one.

Heather

Heather Report 22 Apr 2009 22:35

Always a good indication of being a rail worker when they seem to be all over the place :)