Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help needed in 1871 census please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nuttybongo

nuttybongo Report 29 Apr 2009 15:45

Hi there, been to library and ancestry not working. Would like to find out about an Issac Wood aged 19 in 1888 shot dead close to Hoyland Barnsley. Don't think he was born there, not sure, his father at the time was a George Wood from Wimeswold, Leicestershire. Would love to know where these two were born. Hoyland is a long way from Wimeswold and would like to connect Hoyland and these two people to my side of the family. Any help would be great. Many thanks.
computers are only great, when they work lol.
thanks again

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 29 Apr 2009 16:05

This is the only Isaac I can find, of the right age, with father George. George is not from Wymeswold, though.

Name: Isaac Wood
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1864
Relation: Son
Father's Name: George
Mother's Name: Susannah
Where born: Thurlstone, Yorkshire, England
Civil Parish: Silkstone
County/Island: Yorkshire

Registration district: Wortley
Sub-registration district: Cawthorne

Household schedule number: 12

Household Members:
Name Age
George Wood 48
Susannah Wood 44
Elizabeth Wood 14
George Wood 12
Eliza Wood 11
Rebecca Wood 9
Isaac Wood 7
Susannah Wood 5
Arthur Wood 2
Mary Wood 1
Thomas Wood 6 months

nuttybongo

nuttybongo Report 29 Apr 2009 16:09

hi there BrinsleyS
thanks for doing that, it does look like them. Please could you look to see if any of the other family members come from somewhere else in yorkshire, does it say, sorry to ask, feel a bit cheeky. Thanks though.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 29 Apr 2009 16:22

The are all from Thurlstone, although it does look a bit like Foolstone for father George, and this is how the Ancestry transcriber listed it..

I cant find a place with the name Foolstone However, there is a Fulstone nearer to Huddersfield - I have an ancestor who was born there - or the enumerator could have misheard Thurlstone.

nuttybongo

nuttybongo Report 29 Apr 2009 16:28

HI THERE

Thats great, thanks for taking the time out to do that for me. Thanks again. I will check up things and see if i can find a connection. Its not far from Hoyland and not far from rotherham. So there could be a connection. Thanks again.

Caz

Caz Report 29 Apr 2009 16:44

Hi,

I found this George Wood on the 1871. He was born in Wymeswold, Leicestershire. He does have an Isaac with him but I don't think he is the one you are looking for as he would be too old.

1871 England Census
about George Wood
Name: George Wood
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1813
Relation: Head
Where born: Wymeswold, Leicestershire, England
Civil Parish: St Mary
Ecclesiastical parish: Leicester
Town: Wymeswold
County/Island: Leicestershire
Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Disability: View Image
Registration district: Loughborough
Sub-registration district: Leake
ED, institution, or vessel: 2
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 118
Household Members: Name Age
George Wood 58
Mary Bexon 48
Isaac Bexon 11
John Bexon 10

View
Original
Record

View original image
View blank form

Save This Record
Attach this record to a person in your tree as a source record, or save for later evaluation.
Save

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 3260; Folio: 53; Page: 20; GSU roll: 839279.

George Wood married Mary Bexon in Sep quarter 1881 Loughborough 7a 155

Loughborough district covered Wymeswold.

Caz

Janet

Janet Report 29 Apr 2009 19:21

Hi
Found three George Woods in my 1841 census booklet for Fulstone,one is down as a coal miner living at Newmill and one at Snowgatehead as a fancy weaver.There is a third George Wood living in Paris( a hamlet in Holmfirth) but classed as Fulstone with no occupation entered. All three are down as 20 y.o.-don't know if this is of any help. -JLe