Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding the Rushton family in Australia

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jillian

Jillian Report 30 Apr 2009 08:36

Can anyone advise me the best way to go about tracing family in Australia?
My Maternal Grandmothers family upped sticks and headed to Australia early 1900 - leaving just my grandmother behind as she was already married and had at least two children (she went on to have 8 children in total).
I know my mother was in touch with an aunt and an uncle in the 1970's / 1980's - I have the letters - these letters also give me an idea of the rough year they arrived in Australia, but given their age back then, these people must have passed on now.
Which would be the best way to find their relatives / children?
I know my great aunt didn't have biological children but adopted three children so had two sons and a daughter - although it is my belief going off the letters at that time she had not told them they were adopted.
I would appreciate any help that you could give to help me trace my relatives.

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 30 Apr 2009 13:18

Hi Jillian, First things first. We would need names at least and also better still some idea of location. Even if you can only give what state in Aust your maternall gms family settled in.

Each state in Aust has a different policy with regard to release of historical bdm data. Pick the right state and it's easy, the wong one and it's a pain.

So if you can names, dates, and place of arrival or settlement, and where they lived in UK if that was their country of origin.