Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry.com Trees - Mapping Service

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mick in the Sticks

Mick in the Sticks Report 30 Apr 2009 15:37

I like many others also have a family tree on Ancestry. Earlier today by accident, I accessed my tree via the Ancestry.com site rather than the Ancestry.co.uk site that I normally use.

When looking at an individual in my tree I noticed that every location under the individuals life events was underscored which turned out to be a link to a world map. Clicking on the location will take you to the appropriate map/street/location in the world. On the world map there is a marker pin at the appropriate location for every life event, e.g. Birth, Marriage, Death. Even residence locations on each census are marked on the world map by an appropriate marker pin. The marker pins can be moved to an exact geographic location and the position saved.

I found this a very useful feature but it is not availiable on the Ancestry.co.uk site, only the Ancestry.com site. I have made enquiries with Technical Support at Ancestry and they say eventually this feature will be rolled out to all their sites.

Apparently if you have an Ancestry tree and access it now through the .com site, any geographic location pins that you located for an individual will still be there when the feature is transferred to all their sites.

This also means for instance that if you knew of an ancestor who was in a particular theatre of war, you could add a life event to that effect and move the marker pin for that event to a particular battlegound.

Michael

Mick in the Sticks

Mick in the Sticks Report 30 Apr 2009 21:01

Worth a nudge.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 1 May 2009 03:24

Just had a try at at, and it wouldn't recognise Norfolk, England, only some place in USA, and was dreadfully slow. Am I doing something wrong?

Maggie

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 1 May 2009 09:51

You might like to try a site called Ancestral Atlas. It's new, it's veerry interesting and unless something has changed in the last week, it's veerrrry affordable.

http://www.ancestralatlas.com/ancestry-mapping.php

Mick in the Sticks

Mick in the Sticks Report 1 May 2009 10:29

I tried Norfolk, UK in the search box and that worked ok and also found the system fast. The other alternative way of moving a pin is just move the pin around the globe. You might need to zoom out a bit if you want to put the globe on the other side of the world.

Moving a pin like this is most useful if a street location no longer exists. I have a number of these where old maps have shown a street location where ancestors used to live but the street has either been demolished or renamed.

Michal