Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

how do I find who lived at a certain address?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michelle

Michelle Report 5 May 2009 23:04

I would like to research the house that my grandfather gave as his home address on his WWI records and to find who was living there.

He gives this address in 1915.

I did a 1911 census search to see if I could find the house in 1911 but can't find it - though I found his wife-to-be on the same street in 1911.

The house definitely existed in 1911 as it is a mid-terrace and is still standing today.

Will my local library have records?

Thanks for any advice

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 6 May 2009 12:06

Hardly anyone had voting rights in those days........google electoral franchise for full details

Check the 1901censusonline site........you can find out if the address existed and was occupied without paying for units

Michelle

Michelle Report 6 May 2009 16:48

Thanks Richochet

but the only way to prove it is the right address on there is to check who was living in the house - as the actual village is not named - as I need credits for that

Michelle

Michelle Report 6 May 2009 19:22

do i need to subscribe to do that tho?

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 6 May 2009 22:01

United Kingdom:
1918 All adult males gain the vote, as long as they are over 21 years old and are resident householders
1928 Women over 30 had been given the vote in 1918 with some property restrictions and in 1928 universal suffrage for all.

The available figures suggest that the 1885-1918 electorate comprised about sixty percent of the adult male population.

Thelma

Thelma Report 7 May 2009 10:32

Check with the local archives.
A lot of properties have been renumbered,over the years.