Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anone want to have a try?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 5 May 2009 23:23

I've found the census records 1861-1901 for this family but would love to know what happened to Gladys M Fein and John Mathers Brown after that - any ideas?

2. GLADYS M2 FEIN (GUSTAVE C C1) was born 1900 in Gravelines, France, and died 01 Jul 1920 in London. She married JOHN MATHERS BROWN son of ALEXANDER BROWN and JANE FORBES. He was born 14 Jul 1890 in Dunmore Perth Road, Dundee, Angus, Scotland

More About JOHN MATHERS BROWN:
Name 2: John Brown
Date born 2: 1891, Dundee, Forfarshire
Residence: 1901, Liff and Benvie, Angus, Scotland

Child of GLADYS FEIN and JOHN BROWN is:
3. i. PEGGY3 BROWN, b. 01 Jul 1920, 29, Ormiston Rd.,North Hammersmith, London; d. 1976, Salisbury, Rhodesia.

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 5 May 2009 23:26

Have you tried looking for them on the l9ll census
Liz

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 6 May 2009 07:14

Hi Liz - yes I found them on 1911 this morning. The father had died and the mother had turned the house into a boarding house. However the one that I really want, Gladys (which I hope is the G of the 1901 census). SHe would only have been 10 but she wasn't there with her mother. I don't see a death for her either.

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 6 May 2009 11:53

1911 census Index - Gladys Fein b 1894 living West Ham, Essex.
Could this be her?
Liz

Caz

Caz Report 6 May 2009 15:10

Von,

would you mind my asking how you can find out who a person is living with on the 1911 census without spending credits please?

No matter how I try I just can't manage to do this so your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Caz

Caz

Caz Report 6 May 2009 15:32

Von,

thank you so much. I just tried it and it worked. That's a great tip.

Caz

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 7 May 2009 08:23

Thank you so much for clearing up the mystery. I was off on the wrong track with the 1901 census and I think the 1911 in West Ham is correct. i was barking up the wrong tree but it is probably another branch of the same family as I don't thinkFein was very common. WHy couldn't I find these two references? So frustrating! I used ANcestry and the 1911 site! Ah - the mistranscription!

thanks again all

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 7 May 2009 09:10

How annoying! I've just been to 1911 and typed in the references for Gladys exactly as you posted them and got this cheerful little message:

We found no records for your search. Read our tips on How to improve your search, then search again

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 7 May 2009 11:03

I see her marriage was registered as West ham but her child was born in Hammersmith so I suspect both families at present! thanks again. WIll try to search again as you say