Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Baptism or Christening

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 7 May 2009 20:14

I keep my "main" full tree on an edition of Family Tree, and in the list of headings for various event dates, eg birth, death, etc., I can choose either Baptism or Christening. I`m almost too embarrassed to ask, but what`s the difference?
David

Krissie

Krissie Report 7 May 2009 20:25

I don't think there is one. Here are a couple of definitions:

Baptism:
a Christian ceremony in which a person has water poured on their head, or is covered briefly in water, in order to show that they have become a member of the Christian Church:

Christening:
a Christian ceremony at which a baby is given a name and made a member of the Christian Church:

David

David Report 7 May 2009 20:52

Thank you Krissie and Susan. I seem to remember that the c of e vicar at my g`son`s "christening" used the words "---- I baptise thee ---" but the local Parish mag., lists Marriages Christenings, Burials. The Family Tree I use is a Morman product and there is also a heading Baptism(LDS). I use the heading Baptism, but only because I don`t have to scroll down the list so far.
David

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 May 2009 20:57

Taken from a Church of England website:-

Q. What's the difference between a baptism and a christening?

A. None, they are just different words for the same thing.

Kath. x

Haribo

Haribo Report 7 May 2009 20:59

I think the term 'Baptism' is used by the Roman Catholic Church, whereas 'Christening' is used by C of E..... I was brought up RC by Irish parents and can remember my mother always refering to this Sacrement as a Baptism.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 7 May 2009 21:17

Baptism is the sign that someone belongs to Christ. That is why baptism is sometimes known as CHRISTening.

Whether Roman Catholic or Anglican - it's the same meaning.

Some churches use the word Baptism whilst others use Christening..........it's often a matter of tradition in that place.