Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage date of Parents

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SlingerWood

SlingerWood Report 7 May 2009 22:14

Why do the records people want the date of my parents wedding when ordering a certificate?

I’ve looked up the reg. No. married Portsmouth 1930 3rd qu. 2b 1271, but I don’t know the date. It’s the date I want. Can’t ask them, their both dead.

So how do I get the certificate?

Names Arthur S Wood and Vera May Farren

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 7 May 2009 22:22

Are you applying to local office or GRO.

The index num you are quoting are for GRO and there should be no problem in ordering the certificate.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Local offices have different indexes and that is why they ask for dates and often church.

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 7 May 2009 22:24

Where did you try to order the certificate from Peter?
If you use this site

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

all you need is the reg details you have quoted. MAKE SURE you tick the box GRO ref known. Cost £7 (if more there is something wrong)

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 7 May 2009 22:25

Depends where your ordering it from. If you are getting it from www.gro.gov.uk you need to tick the box asking if you know the reference.

However, some registry offices won't issue without knowing the full details.

I was looking at Waltham Forest yesterday and for a marriage they want the names of both parties, date of marriage occupations etc. Thing is, if I knew that I would have to have the certificate in front of me. Plus they wanted £10 as opposed to the GRO's £7

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 7 May 2009 22:26

Damn, you all type quicker than me!

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 7 May 2009 22:27

I just checked and you have the right index numbers,
go to the GRO web site, you have to register but very easy. When you get to the bit where it asks ' do you know GRO index' tick yes and then fill in the details. It costs £7. Once you get the hang of it, it's very easy. Too easy, I have over 40 certs!

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 8 May 2009 00:40

Rutland Bell, I have 300! and at least 30 are wrong.

Maggie

SlingerWood

SlingerWood Report 8 May 2009 16:03

Thanks everyone:

I must have done something wrong, I was going to the GRO. with a multiple order, two no problem, ticked all the boxes as some of you have said. but when it came to a simple 1930 order they wanted the date.

I'll have another look, just in case I missed the box.

Thanks again all.

peter

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 8 May 2009 16:49

The date is required only if you fail to tick the box, or for births in the past 50 years (identity theft protection)

SlingerWood

SlingerWood Report 9 May 2009 17:47

Thanks again everyone.

Must have been a senior moment and missed checking the box.

Have now ordered my certs.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 9 May 2009 20:11

Ah Peter, so glad to hear I am not the only person to have "senior moments" - I have them all the time!

Maggie