Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help please - stuck again! Can't find Alice Jane

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 9 May 2009 12:11

Hi there,

I am trying to find Alice Jane Cheeseman. According to the 1911 census (she was Mrs Daborn then) - she was born around 1874 in Chobham.

Her marriage certificate gives her as 32 in 1906 (so that sort of fits) - a spinster with deceased father James Cheeseman (labourer). She gives her address as High Street - Thames Ditton but of course that could have been as a servant or anything. He gives address as Horsell but marriage took place in Thames Ditton.

I cannot find her conclusively on any census and cannot find a birth that fits either. I use Ancestry and am quite adept at it but have missed things before. Can anyone else spot anything that might help?

Could do with finding her on 1881 with father if possible (don't know if he was already deceased by then though. There are more than five possible deaths for him after 1874 and before 1906 on Ancestry! Starting in 1878.

Any ideas - all would be welcome, thanks very much in advance. I know how incredibly helpful people on here are. It is much appreciated.

PS: Husband called her Jane Cheeseman on the registration of their child's birth.

Sue C

Sue C Report 9 May 2009 12:35

Is this her in 1891?

LEE, Alfred A Head Married M 40 1851 Farmer
Woking
Surrey
Egley
LEE, Martha M Wife Married F 41 1850
Ripley
Surrey
Brick-Kiln
LEE, Robert D Son Single M 9 1882
Send
Surrey
LEE, Redginald E Nephew Single M 7 1884
Triangle
North Kensington
LUCKIN, Kate Lady Help Single F 23 1868 Lady Help
Ashurst
Sussex
CHEESEMAN, Alice Servant Single F 18 1873 General Servant Domestic
Chobham
Surrey

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RG number:
RG12 Piece:
557 Folio:
34 Page:

Registration District:
Guildford Sub District:
Ripley EnumerationDistrict:
2 Ecclesiastical Parish:
Ripley

Civil Parish:
Send and Ripley Municipal Borough:
Address:
Chapel Farm, Rose Lane, Send And Ripley, Ripley County:
Surrey

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 9 May 2009 12:40

Saw that one - it's a possible. Thanks, Kate

Sue C

Sue C Report 9 May 2009 12:44

The only one I can see in 1881 has father William which I suppose could be the same Alice that has been found in 1891.

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 9 May 2009 12:45

It's not just me then! Thanks,

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 9 May 2009 12:55

Anerley is not a million miles away from Thames Ditton but it's not too close to Chobham. Also - I did see some Alice M's in the 1891, 1901.

I just found an Alice Cheeseman in Thmames Ditton as a servant but she was born 1862. Ancestry have fluffed up as they have her in a household with James Cheeseman and Matilda Cheeseman but they've got it wrong. I feel sure that this one is too old really and surely couldn't have got away with pretending to be over 10 years younger than she really was?

Kate

Sue C

Sue C Report 9 May 2009 13:14

That will be this Alice?
Although mother's name not Matilda.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHEESMAN, James Head M 54 1817 Surrey
CHEESMAN, Sarah Wife F 51 1820 Surrey
CHEESMAN, Allen Son M 16 1855 Surrey
CHEESMAN, Sarah Daughter F 28 1843 Surrey
CHEESMAN, Noah Son M 12 1859 Surrey
CHEESMAN, Alice Daughter F 9 1862 Surrey <<<
CHEESMAN, Frances Daughter F 6 1865 Surrey
CHEESMAN, Jane Granddaughter F 4 1867 Surrey

RG number:
RG10 Piece:
806 Folio:
158 Page:

Registration District:
Chertsey Sub District:
Chobham EnumerationDistrict:
11 Ecclesiastical Parish:

Civil Parish:
Chobham Municipal Borough:
Address:
West End, Chobham County:
Surrey

Choccy

Choccy Report 9 May 2009 13:34

Have you tried this one ?

Births Dec 1873 (>99%)
Cheeseman Alice Chertsey 2a 43

Chobham is in Chertsey district