Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Request to View your tree....denied!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gemerald

Gemerald Report 9 May 2009 18:13

I have recently uploaded an updated version of my family tree to genes and as a result have had several PM's from people asking to view my tree.

I have stated politely that i am happy to share information on our common ancestors, but that im not willing to open my tree to people since a large percentage of it will be irrelevant to them.

These people have all opened my replies, but not one has got back to me.

Are people really only interested in copying the names and dates from my tree?

Surely i cant be the only person who isnt comfortable sharing my entire tree with anyone who happens to ask?

Gemma

Chica in the sun ☼

Chica in the sun ☼ Report 9 May 2009 20:55

ditto as George

Gemerald

Gemerald Report 9 May 2009 21:07

Thanks, it's good to know im not the only one!

Sandgroper

Sandgroper Report 10 May 2009 07:44

Even if you only open your tree to people you know have a good connection, you have no control on what they do with your information after they have incorporated it with their own.

My fourth cousin passed on his information, which included mine, to a 7th cousin by marriage on the other side of his family....and now I am sparkling away on the web for all to see. I am about as connected to this person as I am to anyone in the street but he still felt able to add me to his tree.

Valerie

Valerie Report 10 May 2009 08:07

I have also found this a problem. On 2 occasions early on I was contacted by people asking to see my tree and I let them then found afterwards there was no connection but they had still copied over the information onto their records including photographs of my mother, why would anyone want photos of people they have no connection with? I have now removed all photos and anecdotal info from my GR tree and keep that sort of stuff on my own computer softward. Why do people do this, I am not interested in anyone else's tree unless it is connected with mine.

Just had another similar request, no connection to my tree but still wanting names etc., I don't want to give complete strangers details of my relatives if there isn't a connection and don't think thats unreasonable?

I would say to new members be aware of this and when people ask to see your tree don't open it to them until you have replied and asked them why they are asking.