Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Poor relief

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

POSITIVE Pauline

POSITIVE Pauline Report 10 May 2009 11:12

Excuse me if I'm telling you all something you already know, but I have just found something out today which was of great interest to me.

I've recently been transcribing records for the parishes of Lanlivery & Lanivet in Cornwall, and found an
annotation on several records of the letter "P". Reading an article in Your Family Tree magazine, it would appear that this denotes people who were in receipt of poor relief from the parish. For burials, there is likely to be a corresponding entry in the Overseers of the Poor Accounts detailing the cost
of a coffin and funeral expenses.

Hope that may be of help to somebody.

PP
xx

Kaz in a Tizz

Kaz in a Tizz Report 10 May 2009 16:06

Thanks Pauline, I will keep that in mind next time I'm at the records office! Hopefully, other parishes in Cornwall did it too!

Best wishes

Kaz :o)