Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What is BVRI?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Fiona

Fiona Report 15 May 2009 18:05

I have seen this mentioned in several threads and it looks like it could be very useful.
What is the web address for it please, what does it contain and is there a cost to browse it?
Thansk for all the replies I know this will generate

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 15 May 2009 18:08

I think this is British Vital Records Index

Joy

Joy Report 15 May 2009 18:57

It is the British Vital Records Index on a CD.

http://genoot.com/downloads/BVRI2/

http://www.ancestor-search.info/SRC-IGI.htm#BVRI

British Isles Vital Records Index General
The British Isles Vital Records Index (BVRI) supplements the IGI
It is an index to around 10 million births/baptisms and around 2 million marriages in the British Isles from 1538 to 1888 (with the majority being in England Wales)
Few of the index entries in the British Isles Vital Records Index appear in the IGI

The British Isles Vital Records Index can be viewed at your local LDS Family History Centre, at the Society of Genealogists and at many record offices and local study centres
It can also be viewed in the comfort of your own home - the complete British Isles Vital Records Index is provided in a reasonably priced (£15.65) boxed set of 16 CD-ROMs published by the Latter-day Saints. It can be ordered by phone (0121 785 2200) from their distribution centre in Birmingham. For details see the Order LDS CDs page on the Latter-day Saints London Family History Centre website. Many County Libraries have a copy of this set of CD-ROMs